Model Cars Magazine Forum

60 Chevy Custom (Update 7-22)

James2

I purchased this AMT 60 El Camino as a Christmas present for myself and will be doing another restore/mild custom similar to the Buick I did this past year.

IMG_1074.jpg

Trying a few things. Workking on a custom grill and light combo. Thoughts?IMG_1208.jpg

Edited by James2
Title

• 1 month later...

Post is dated 2/29(really!).Better check your calander.

Seroiusly,It will be interesting to see what you do with this rare kit.

I guess there is always more room for proof reading!

And thanks for the interest and comments...

• 3 months later...

It started as a sink mark out of the mold I believe. I tried to fix it from the inside with C/A glue and Tamiya filler from the top side. That was some weeks ago. Some how it never cured completely.

Maybe I sealed it in by priming to soon? I am at a loss! I'll try the body filler and let it set up good this time.

It started as a sink mark out of the mold I believe. I tried to fix it from the inside with C/A glue and Tamiya filler from the top side. That was some weeks ago. Some how it never cured completely.

Maybe I sealed it in by priming to soon? I am at a loss! I'll try the body filler and let it set up good this time.

A good trick for filling holes like that on bodies is to heat up a piece of sprue & stretch it a bit.

When it hardens, cut an inch piece on one of the ends where it tapers like a cone shape, close to the size of your hole.

Then apply a little super glue to the piece & wedge it tight into the hole.

Once the glue cures, you can cut & sand the sprue piece flush on front & back.

That way, very little filler is required to smooth out the repair.

I use this technique all of the time for filling those antenna & mirror holes on old built kits.

Steve