Model Cars Magazine Forum

First Build - '68 Firebird (Revell)

LMDAVE

Just joined recently and state that my first build would be a 1970 Camaro. But bought this 68 firebird kit as a "test kit" to try the techniques I need to learn for model cars. So, this build may get abandoned half way or go great and finish.

For starters, here's the box:

410763921.jpg

Body (I intend to go with a red):

410763922.jpg

First assembly (tires):

I heard about how Revell is manufacturing tires now without letters, I do think that is cheap. I don't intend to put the thin redline on it, but what is the best techniques for applying such a small line on the tire, paint pen?

410763923.jpg

Anyway, my next step is to move onto the interior since I'm anxious to play with getting the interior looking really nice. Seats will be tan, with black dash, black flooring/carpet.

Thanks guys

Why not go all the way with it no matter what? We're all here learning at different levels and you gotta start somewhere. Just make a deal with yourself to finish it no matter what happens and you've got the first step licked! I'm in on watching this WIP. Go for it dude! emotion-21.gif

Thanks, and that's a great attitude, and I'm sure I will probably finish. Truth is I feel i already screwed up the paint on the body. I didn't realize the red paint I picked was a metal flake and it did not go on very nicely at all, I will attempt to wet sand the bad areas and possibly apply a second coat, that's why I feel I may have screw the kit already. But I'm still want practice with interior and engine building also. May still turn out good after I try to correct my mistake on the body.

Dave, whether the paint came out good or not, like Joe said, keep pushing until it's done. I have the bad kits I built when I got back into building back in '95 in my display case alongside my current stuff, just to show how far I've come. It's a learning process, and every completed model will show just how much you've learned. Getting the paint right is the hardest part of building a model car or truck, and I'm willing to bet no one got a great paint job on their first build, I know I sure didn't! So finish this baby off, and get started on the next one, I'll bet it comes out better!

Edited by Custom Mike

Thanks guys

Thanks, and that's a great attitude, and I'm sure I will probably finish. Truth is I feel i already screwed up the paint on the body. I didn't realize the red paint I picked was a metal flake and it did not go on very nicely at all, I will attempt to wet sand the bad areas and possibly apply a second coat, that's why I feel I may have screw the kit already. But I'm still want practice with interior and engine building also. May still turn out good after I try to correct my mistake on the body.

You could turn the paint mishap, into a positive learning experience, on the subject of Paint stripping, and removal. One thing to remember. It's all about the Journey.

Edited by my80malibu

I have been doing this for years and I still get a color I was not happy with. You just learned something. You can always test a color on empty part trees or platic spoons. So many brands and colors so hard to know them all. Great kit to work with Dave...

You could turn the paint mishap, into a positive learning experience, on the subject of Paint stripping, and removal. One thing to remember. It's all about the Journey.

There are people here to help out with the paint stripping procedure as well Dave. Look and ask around and you'll find how to do that too. I haven't had to strip a coat of paint off a car build yet but believe me with the good folks here I could find out within an hours time how to do it. You'll be fine man. One thing that was also mentioned by Carl in the 8th reply here was to shoot some paint on a test subject before shooting the kit body you are working on. You'll avoid a ton of trouble and extra work that way.

Hey man!

Nice choice for a first kit! My mom had a '67, so I have a place in my heart for F-bodies. Of course, I also own an '80 T/A, so that helps!

If you do need to strip the car, use Easy Off, but the yellow can, not the blue "non toxic" stuff or the liquid spray. Only the old "instant lung failure" yellow cans work well.

I've screwed up kits before; part of learning is learning how to undo mistakes! There's nothing wrong with learning through experience! If it doesn't turn out the way you wanted, all you have to do is make a list of things you want to learn, and then come here and ask about them. Then, just try stuff on other kits as you go! There are lots of kits out there to hone your skills on!

I applaud you for trying, no matter what happens; we all do!

Good luck, and keep us posted!

Thanks for the support, I spent the rest of the time painting/detailing the door panels of the interior, I'll attempt to fix the body paint later. But, here is an update on the panel.

410765671.jpg

Edited by LMDAVE

Good to see that another person has this addiction to modeling. The paint is the hardest thing to learn. I have gone through I don't know how many bottles of brake fluid, and cans of oven cleaner stripping paint that I messed up. I found that each time I did that, I was always able to start over again with the knowledge of what I messed up to make it better the next time.

I like the door panels. Shows that you already have a good grasp of how to do detail...which I can't seem to do myself.

welcome! that door panel looks fantastic, great job!

body paint, yup, toughest part of these little buggers, did my first paint job twice [and still wasn't happy]. lot of ways to strip the paint, then you just start over fresh. lot of good info on how to strip paint, how to fix little mistakes, and how to really make it shine on the site, lot of good reading, it taught me a lot.

keep on going, it's looking good so far.

Well, I didn't have to strip the paint, but I wet sanded it pretty good, the second coat went on better, but I have some orange peel finish I need to wet sand out and try clear over it. It's hard to get a true picture, outside is where I get the closest results, but but looks better in person.

410770494.jpg

Thanks! Well, I don't want to give the impression I have zero model experience, I came from a few model boats after getting back into this a couple of years ago. I'm 43 now. I remember as a kid attempting these kits, and it's so much more fun now when attention to detail is used.

One little neat thing I was just playing around with at work over lunch was marblized woodgrain for dash paneling. I remembered Microsoft word/powerpoint has a standard fill pattern that matches the interior paneling I need, so I just printed a sheet of it (always nice to use the printer at work instead of home :) ), and covered both sides with clear package tape. Makes a nice firm piece of wood grain with a gloss. I'm sure there are fifty other ways discussed on this site already for doing this, but I'll be curious to see how this works out on my center console.

Here's a pic of the sheet I made vs an actual console.

410771607.jpg

Edited by LMDAVE

Thanks Jantrix.

You could print that pattern on Testers decal paper and it would be much easier to apply.

I should have known such a thing existed...That's why being on these forums is cool. I will definitely have get decal paper as I agree that's probably the better route to go.