Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 Moebius/Model King 1959 Rambler Custom Cross Country Wagon

Casey

IIRC, the wheelbase on this kit appears closer to the Ambassador version (which was stretched ahead of the firewall). Something also needs to be done about the headlights; they should be more hooded (a set of '59 Mercury headlights should correct this, with a little work). Otherwise it's a pretty nice kit with some custom possibilities:

16255457267_1c00366dd6_b.jpg

As for the chassis, you're really stuck for choice. Here's the underside of that unibody promo:

16255285389_7b88ddaf75_c.jpg

Good detail to start with; adding a torque tube/coil spring rearend wouldn't be too bad but the front suspension would need a lot of scratchbuilding (or strip out a junk Marlin kit?). Best part: they're molded in styrene, amazingly; worst part: this image is from the last one that sold on eBay - for $63.00 last November. Maybe a job for a resin caster?

Edited by ChrisBcritter

There's not going to be much of anything, as the '59 was of unibody construction, not separate body-on-frame construction. JO-HAN did release this promo to showcase AMC's new unibody construction, though:

Then I guess we're gonna see an awful lot of resto-mods. :D

Those Unibody promo models used to be a lot more costly years ago...$63 isn't too bad for one today. I remember seeing an ad or an eBay listing for a resin one, from the company that was supplying resin parts to Okey Spaulding's Johan...did any of those get produced? It's interesting to note that the 1960 Unibody promo was molded in styrene, while Jo-Han used acetate for their other promos through 1963.

I hope this actually happens, I bought one several years ago, along with the Plymouth Fury police car when Johan was trying to start up again. I've always regretted only getting one of each since they turned out to only be available for a short time.

It is a simple kit, but pretty nice particularly when you consider it is 56 years old. The last issue included a ton of extras, luggage, surfboards, and a taxi sign and I think an old style gumball beacon light.

Wonder if we might see the Fury after the Rambler.

The police car kits weren't newly produced, but packaged from parts already molded that were part of the purchase. The Rambler wagon and Chrysler Turbine car snap kit were the only kits that were manufactured after, if I remember right.

IIRC, the wheelbase on this kit appears closer to the Ambassador version (which was stretched ahead of the firewall).

I haven't measured it, but the Jo-Han '59 Rambler does appear to have the longer Ambassador wheelbase (the '60 promo is noticeably shorter than the '59). When Okey issued the kit, he included decals for the Ambassador side trim and emblems. That's how I built mine, removed the engraved side trim, converted the grille, and added trim on the tailgate.

DSCN3459.jpg

DSCN3458.jpg

Those Unibody promo models used to be a lot more costly years ago...$63 isn't too bad for one today. I remember seeing an ad or an eBay listing for a resin one, from the company that was supplying resin parts to Okey Spaulding's Johan...did any of those get produced? It's interesting to note that the 1960 Unibody promo was molded in styrene, while Jo-Han used acetate for their other promos through 1963.

I was lucky and bought a mint boxed unibody promo back in the '80s..when they were going for $20 at full-size AMC shows. That's a long time ago--and with new kits in the $30 range--$63 for something 55 years old doesn't sound too bad to me. In the past year, I saw a unibody promo at an antique mall. Can't remember the price, but it was reasonable enough that I gave the car a good look and it turned out to be a resin one, so somebody cast it. I think Okey had a resin unibody at a Toledo show when it was still in Maumee at the fairgrounds. Maybe 10-15 years ago?

I haven't measured it, but the Jo-Han '59 Rambler does appear to have the longer Ambassador wheelbase (the '60 promo is noticeably shorter than the '59). When Okey issued the kit, he included decals for the Ambassador side trim and emblems. That's how I built mine, removed the engraved side trim, converted the grille, and added trim on the tailgate.

OH that is a nice one, Don! Here's the 1/1 I'd like to build someday from my kit:

16448191902_52cd097189_o.jpg

16262878659_cfa9603086_o.jpg

Whatever happened to the "IMC" version?

This is the IMC version that will be in new Moebius - Mode King packaging. It will be molded in the US by the same vendor IMC had partnered with.

It should have all the changes that were done by the IMC team which include new wheel backs, new clear red tree and a new " thinner glass" part if I recall correctly.

I haven't seen any of the new packaging yet including the decals so I can't comment on them.

-Steve

Edited by SteveG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I believe this will have 'Moebius' in place of the IMC logo.

I have a copy of the production box with Moebius on it

I Definitely want a few

And HOPE they are a Bit Less than Moebius' New tooled kits!!

I hope the Decal sheet is as planned for the IMC release with San Francisco PD stars!!
I have needed a set for MANY years!!