Model Cars Magazine Forum

69 nova big tire car and turbo cobra mustang

teamstorm02

Starting on my girlfriends and my car.. basically going to build what our real cars will be. She wants hers to be like murder nova from street outlaws. I'm new to all this so it's not nearly as nice as some of you guys out there can do.. but thought I'd give it a try. I can't seem to post pictures from my phone so I'll have to wait till I get home.

well here is what i started with. a 99 cobra mustang

20150112_150629_zpsdjpkdgqd.jpg

and i started by making a custom howl hood since i couldnt find anyone who makes them for this car.

20150112_154146_zps4arrtpoc.jpg

and since i really dont know how to use styrene like a lot of you guys i just filled the bottom half with filler... hopefully i learn how to use this styrene sheet stuff better than i can now in the future.

20150112_162125_zpszrao2pju.jpg

20150113_200717_zpsmi1kft7s.jpg

still needs a ton of work but im making some progress.. i really want to learn how some of you do such great detail work!

here are the models together primed up.. like i said the mustang was still rough and the bumper needs some TLC to look correct.

20150115_174225_zpsn1bo10j5.jpg

here is the motor im building for the nova.. had to cut down the intake manifold so i could get the hood to close.. btw its a cowl hood... the one on the car now isnt the hood that will be on the car.

20150116_211001_zpszsiwiuyx.jpg

20150116_211029_zpskbewniii.jpg

little preview of the mustang with the wheels in.. but the body was just resting on them

20150117_134913_zpsdob3mjjj.jpg

started putting the rear wing on the nova and built struts for it

20150118_084140_zpsjeea4tli.jpg

20150118_084153_zpsycjjm8px.jpg

20150118_175240_zpsb7mgbe1d.jpg

the girlfriend like i said wants it to look like murder novas car from street outlaws so shes gettin flat black treatment

20150118_185932_zpsyerpoaks.jpg

this is how the car sits as of right now.. im waiting for some styrene rod to come in and i didnt know the size i should use to build the roll cage so i may have bought more sizes that i should have but i didnt know about this site till after the fact.. btw what size would that be? haha

20150118_213947_zpsja0xugyj.jpg

20150124_090638_zpscxzemtqw.jpg

like i said im new to this whole thing.. so any tips and trick or anything you guys would like to advise me to do im all ears!

A lot of people use .062" styrene rod for all the cage work, it equals out to about 1 3/4" in scale.

Good mock up on both cars. By the way, that motor you have going into the nova is a FORD boss 429 pro stock engine, that should go in the stang with a big single turbo haha. Nice work though.

@511nova I know one is a pro stock thunderbird. I forget the other. I'll look tonight

@bookie yea both will be big tire cars.

@devilsnake awesome thank you for the styrene info! Haha and I know I thought it would be funny since most people chevy swap a ford. Figured I'd ford swap a chevy ;)

@hacked thank you!

looking good. great start. love big tire cars. the bigger the better for me! don't worry about getting all the detail in there at first. that's the fastest way to stall a project. for the cage, I use .080, been using it so long, never thought about dropping to .062 like Ryan suggested. most people will use "too big" of styrene on projects, like your struts, if you don't mind me saying, they look a little large. maybe some smaller gauge wire or styrene. get yourself a conversion chart...

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/?showtopic=70954

hope these help. your off to a great start and its very cool you have a girlfriend that's into your hobby as well.

you are quit welcome. I use tenex-7. I am going to try Ambroid pro weld. here is a thread on the glues, should be very informative... you can always heat some sprue and stretch it to get the thickness you want.

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=77329

this is a great tool for finding stuff here. this was put up by Bill (Ace-garageguy), best way do to a search.

go to Google in a separate browser window, type in site:modelcarsmag.com, a space, and the topic you're looking for.

Example: site:modelcarsmag.com glue

this will bring up all sorts of what you are looking for. very helpful. also, keep asking questions too, you may have to sort out a few ways of doing something, but that's fine. you WILL get an answer, for sure.

Good looking start on both of these! I like that Murder Nova as well so it's great to see how it turns out. Also those Mustangs seem to be really popular in different Street Car / Doorslammer classes so it's neat to see someone really building a scale model out of one.

Is that putty that you're using Green Putty? If it is, I have to warn you that it might sink a little when putting a bit heavier coat of it. It will take months - maybe a year, but the seams might be visible after that. It happened on one of my builds, and nowadays I only use that putty when using it either in very tricky spot (Because it's soft and easy to sand) or if I don't have to put much of it on. Just a warning, your putty work looks really smooth...Much better than mine!

Good looking start on both of these! I like that Murder Nova as well so it's great to see how it turns out. Also those Mustangs seem to be really popular in different Street Car / Doorslammer classes so it's neat to see someone really building a scale model out of one.

Is that putty that you're using Green Putty? If it is, I have to warn you that it might sink a little when putting a bit heavier coat of it. It will take months - maybe a year, but the seams might be visible after that. It happened on one of my builds, and nowadays I only use that putty when using it either in very tricky spot (Because it's soft and easy to sand) or if I don't have to put much of it on. Just a warning, your putty work looks really smooth...Much better than mine!

thank you! yeah i really couldnt find any to go off of other than slot cars.. so i figured id just build one that will look like my car once i start building it (the real one) although the motor may be different.. most likely a SBF with twins. and yeah its green putty and that now scares the BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH out of me! haha! thank you very much! yeah i put the first layer on sanded it down then through another thin layer on and brought that down. this car will be gloss black soooooo hopefully everything is nice and clean haha