Model Cars Magazine Forum

New Beetle.... Custom WIP !

Lowlife ! !

Been on here for a while but this is my first WIP, this is a bit of a long term project and im quite a way through it, but stalled recently so Im hoping for a bit of inspiration to finish it ! Ok, the plan was to find something ugly and make it look cool, I need more practice with bodywork so this had to be a bit radical, and I like to design unusual cars.. I started with this........

009_zps9bdfa2c8.jpg

001_zpsf305927d.jpg

More soon........

Edited by Lowlife ! !

I do remember seeing a new bug before similar to this, so im not taking credit for all the design here, but from memory I liked the look so this is where it started ! First thing was the bodywork, and I wanted to change the front end. Looking through my spares I found a Viper front end which I thought might work......

003_zps614032fe.jpg

It was too narrow, and the top needed modifying, so I cut it up !

004_zpsa3c88458.jpg

005_zps7cd70979.jpg

Needed widening so it was cut in half too...

006_zps8234dc0c.jpg

And fitted in, with a bit of filler......

007_zpsac8e6423.jpg

More soon.......

Edited by Lowlife ! !

Very cool! To be honest, when I first saw the viper bumper, I kringed a little. You have, however, done a wonderful job of making it fit the style of the beetle. It actually looks as though it was made for the car.

Keep it up and you'll have a kustom klinic winner!

It's interesting,and speaks to scale fidelity,that a Viper nose had to be widened to fit a Beetle.Even factoring in the scale difference the Viper nose should have been a lot wider than the Beetle front end.

Edited by ZTony8

Thanks guys, really appreciate the replies..... :D

Ken , A kustom klinic winner eh? Never heard of this, but im glad you think its worthy ! I wasn't sure about the bumper either, but im pleased with how it looks now .....

And Rob, yeah I thought about the front light openings like that, but then I went all through my spares boxes and found some I think are perfect ! When the pics upload I will show you...

Thanks again guys....... ;)

Ok so the front lights are...... 1937 Ford !! I removed the chrome and slightly flared out the beetle holes, thought they looked better angled inwards too. Rear lights are now smoothed out, as are the door handles, boot lock etc I removed the lower part of the rear bumper too, might add a defuser here or big exhausts...Some may like the lights, some maybe not, but hey I love em !

lite001_zps2b7dacaf.jpg

001_zpsc4451781.jpg

More soon....... B)

Edited by Lowlife ! !

Thanks guys, much appreciated, Slusher hadn't heard from you in a while, glad your still around ! Man this guy can spray paint.....And thanks Sonny, talking of chassis.........

Bit more, at this point I thought id start on the chassis, the 350z had a nice engine with lots of chrome so thought id go with the 350 chassis, (and the engine) and maybe scratchbuild the running gear. The most important thing in my builds is stance, if its not right (usually on the floor, hence the Lowlife tag . ;) .. ) then I rip it apart and redo it till its right. After removing the temporary floor, i found with these wheels it was going to need some major work so I tried the chassis fit, then trimmed a bit off, and another bit, till it was in 10 pieces !!

001_zpseaf9ecfd.jpg

I made the centre section fit, then had a couple of tries to do the front and rear.......

002_zps94e627c6.jpg

003_zps82d39999.jpg

More soon.... :)

Edited by Lowlife ! !