Model Cars Magazine Forum

Yet Another Diamond Reo

But, with a twist! I picked up this Lee Town white metal kit at a train show a couple weeks ago and couldn't wait to tear into it. It's HO scale, and it is downright teeny compared to 1/25. I've built other old Lee Town kits (still avaliable from a company called Alloy Forms) and they're a nice change of pace. Should look good on my christmas railroad layout next year. I also picked up another of these with a 22' dump trailer AND a GMC Astro with 30' dump trailer kit...all for $30!

There aren't a whole lot of pieces to these, but they pack some good detail for their size. Wheels are plastic, tires solid vinyl, and axles are brass rod.

HODR1_zpsvacsslpe.jpg

HODR2_zpsgfjmhvdm.jpg

The kit comes with a "universal" chassis, leaving lots of ways to build it and I believe there are other versions of this kit out there. This shows how much of the chassis I cut off.

HODR4_zps5y5ootoo.jpg

The kit gives a few options for building. One pair each of 3 sizes of air horn, 2 bumpers, along with the afformentioned universal chassis. It even has photoetched mirrors.

HODR3_zpsxtfqqflw.jpg

And just for fun, here's a shot of the 1/87 version of the White Motor Corporation cab against it's 1/25 counterpart. Makes you appreciate how big 1/25 really is!

IMG_2362_zpsdxdn7uow.jpg

I'm waiting on a new pin vise and drill bits so I can mount the airhorns, mirrors, and turn signals properly. Those locations are already spotted, taking the guesswork out of drilling those tiny holes. The instructions conclude with the phrase "Cute, isn't it?" and I have to agree with them. I think I'm going to build this and the other Diamond Reo identical, save for paint color. Thanks for looking!