Model Cars Magazine Forum

55 ton 3-axle lowboy

The deck itself is pretty stiff since it is all I-beam construction. The weakest part is where the neck detaches from the main frame rails. It would be easy to support it here on the main frame rails without being visible. If you glue it together so that the neck no longer detaches then it might be a little stronger too.

As of right now there is no hydraulic detail in the detachable neck. As I mentioned earlier, I had to leave some details out to keep cost down. I plan on offering that as an additional item that can be purchased separately if the builder chooses so. This leaves 3 options, buy it as an add-on, build your own detail the way you want, or box the area in with covers like many trailer have to hide the hydraulics.

hello KJ, I noticed brackets between the trailer wheels. are you adding fenders over the wheels? just curious because when I order mine I'm thinking of getting all the bells and whistles on it. this trailer is looking awesome!

Edited by cappy625

hello KJ, I noticed brackets between the trailer wheels. are you adding fenders over the wheels? just curious because when I order mine I'm thinking of getting all the bells and whistles on it. this trailer is looking awesome!

I do not have any fenders for it, those are just extra D-rings for chains to hook to between each wheel. It would be very easy to put fenders covering the wheels using some flat styrene though. Diamond plate styrene sheet would look great there!

Edited by KJ790

KJ any update on the release date?

I am waiting on new masters for the brake drums and tires, I'm not happy with the ones that I used for this build. I should have those in 2 weeks. At the same time, I am going on vacation for a week to visit my father in Florida. When I return I will be making molds for the brake drums and tires, and will start casting. My plan is to have some kits ready to ship around the end of March to early April.

I have started casting some of the other pieces when I get free time to get ahead a little bit.

That is awesome! Put me down for atleast 1 lol

do you have a ball park idea on pricing?

The pricing was on the first page of this topic:

For pricing I am aiming for $75 for the 2-axle version with no rims or tires, $110 for the complete 2-axle version with rims and tires. For the 3-axle version I am aiming for $85 with no rims and tires, or $130 for the complete kit with rims and tires. Since the main rails are 3D printed I will have to buy those for every trailer I sell, so that accounts for a majority of the price. All of the other parts I will make.

so none available at the spring thaw show

Not yet. I will have this one there at my table. I just ordered a bunch of frame rails yesterday, they should take a few weeks to get to me. Jerry Reeter from modeltruckin.com has also agreed to make a set of decals to go with it.

• 2 weeks later...

saw this today in person, get out the model cash boys, cause this trailer looks awesome! many possibilities for this one!

KJ, again, let me know when the first batch is ready for sale, I must have at least one of these.