Model Cars Magazine Forum

Wife's project 2007 Shelby Mustang

BHarrison

So my wife bought a kit at a show 4 years ago but after seeing the work me and my dad have been doing and attending a show a few weeks back, she has asked me to show her some things and this is her project. I have sat at the bench with her and demonstrated things, if there were two thngs to do I would do one and she would do the other etc. This is a Jada Bigtime Muscle kit and I was thinking it would make a good basic kit for her to start on but she has picked up on this very quickly! Add a little detail to these kits and they don't turn out bad. She picked it out herself so here goes....

She had seen me do screen inserts on hles before so I suggested opening up the Shelby vents. I showed her how to operate the Dremel and this is what she did...

photo%201%204_zpsm7kzrnim.jpg

I also suggested if she wasgoing to do some mesh in those holes why not take some inside so I showed her where to cut the door panels and package tray, also slotted the door panels for seatbelts and here they are....

photo%202%204_zpsrsw0xy86.jpgphoto%203%203_zpsvflp5r9q.jpg

photo%201%205_zpsk1w2s6ll.jpg

We also spent an afternoon and a night learning about taping off graphics and two-tones. This is the result........

photo%203%204_zpsoaxn2dpa.jpg

Still wet from a minor cutting/polishing. We have Carbon Fiber stripes cut that mostly cover the red leaving only narrow stripes around the sides and in between them. I will be updating more in the next feew days...

That's pretty cool- not only is your wife building, but it looks good. "We" got a snap Revell Mustang ragtop for my wife, and still, after all the shows that she's attended, I am the receiver of a funny look when I suggest she starts building it. Oh, well.

I wish I could get my wife interested in this. She sits on the sofa playing her iPhone games saying she needs to find some hobbies. Where I'm wishing there were 36 hours in a day to fit all my hobbies in. Same with my step-son, he has no interest in learning my hobbies (models, wood working, guitar), just talks on the phone all evening.

So, this a great you have going here. Love the interior!

This is great, getting to spend time together building. Only problem I see is she looks like she's very good at this and you two may become competitive. What a great problem to have. Now you have to buy twice as many kits.

You got that right Tom....Ouch! Its all fun and game til a 60 Olds or a Studebaker Hardtop goes missing lol

A funny thing Bryan... I saw this same post you put on the udder board. My first thought was that the management there had deleted my post. I I wondered why and sulked for a few minutes until I remembered I posted it here! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Here is a pic of the under carriage of the car. I helped her with some exhaust work and showed her how to mark and figure out her bends.

post-6744-0-57407900-1425519886_thumb.jp

And here is a more side shot to show the stance....

post-6744-0-01396200-1425520025_thumb.jp

And here is a shot of the rear end showing the aluminum exhaust tips and aluminum gas cap she turned on the lathe.....

post-6744-0-77503700-1425520130_thumb.jp