Model Cars Magazine Forum

Found a car error in a movie

ZTony8

This one goes waaaaaaay back. I was watching the silent movie "Wings"(made in 1927) on TCM last Sunday night.The setting of the first part of the movie is just before the U.S. enters World War 1(circa1915-1916).One of the characters(Richard Arlen)is building a Model T speedster during this time.As I'm watching the scene of him tearing apart the Ford(just grabbing fenders and the rear section of the body work and tossing them away without the use of tools-what a hoot!)something isn't looking correct.That's when I realized that the T being used is a car from the early twenties!OOPS!

You see a lot of errors in movies. How many times have you seen a car turn a corner and loose a hubcap only to see that hubcap back on the car on the next turn. Years ago while watching a episode of "Starsky and Hutch " they were looking for these guys in a 63 Chevy. The criminals drove into a garage to paint the car. Don't remember what color it was going in but it came out as a green 64 ! Painted it and made it a year newer. : )

Try being a "gun guy" and watching movies and TV. I don't think I've ever seen ONE that didn't have mistakes (or, in some cases, outright lies).

You got that right ! Call the guns wrong, get the calibers wrong, never run out of ammo, shoot though stuff that would never happen . But that's the movies for you .

You see a lot of errors in movies. How many times have you seen a car turn a corner and loose a hubcap only to see that hubcap back on the car on the next turn. Years ago while watching a episode of "Starsky and Hutch " they were looking for these guys in a 63 Chevy. The criminals drove into a garage to paint the car. Don't remember what color it was going in but it came out as a green 64 ! Painted it and made it a year newer. : )

It was a white '63 two-door hardtop going in and a green '64 two-door post coming out... Oh, it goes further than that - not only does the car revert to being a '63 when it blows up in the end, at one point the police radio calls for them to be on the lookout for a 1973 Chevy!

Try being a "gun guy" and watching movies and TV. I don't think I've ever seen ONE that didn't have mistakes (or, in some cases, outright lies).

The ".380 Walther" Travis Bickle buys from the illicit gun dealer in Taxi Driver is actually an Astra Constable

I haven't seen it in years, but in the movie Swamp Thing they wreck a truck, and as its flying through the air and crashing its a tottaly different truck. I seem to remember a K5 Blazer and a Scout or Bronco being switched?

In My Tutor, they wreck a Porsche, but as the car is seen laying on its side (from the bottom), it is a Karmann Ghia.

I recall several movies where you can see a jump or rollover car where there is clearly no engine in the car, or you can see the launch cannon on the bottom of the car, or even the section of telephone pole bouncing in the shot.

Those old 1960s TV shows like "The FBI" where there was product placement by Ford. Every car in the show was a brand new Ford, except the bad guys. They always drove older non-Ford cars, and you knew that was the one going over the cliff.

Edited by Tom Geiger

One movie mistake I just love is in one of the earlier James Bond movies, where he drive in through a narrow ally on two wheels, and when he comes out of the ally he's driving on the other two wheels... :lol:

That was "On Her Majesty's Secret Service", thankfully the only film where George Lazenby played Bond... He was TERRIBLE! The only redeeming thing about that movie was that it was where they introduced the DB5 as 007's car of choice.

I think that possibly the most famous movie car "Switcheroo" was in the final scene of "Vanishing Point", where our hero crashes his white '68 Camaro into the watting bulldozers. That's right, I said '68 CAMARO!!! He drove that white 440 Challenger for the entire movie, but apparently they didn't want to wreck it so they found a stunt double for it... Unfortunately, it didn't survive.

I just love how lead bullets "spark" when they hit a car or the ground. :rolleyes: And, cars that get shot up never have bullet holes either! :huh:

And how about how those bullets cause the gas tanks to explode? Sorry, folks, it doesn't happen that way. It's something called "Fuel-To-Air Ratio". Just like in the car's engine, if the mixture in the tank isn't roughly 14.7:1 VAPORIZED gasoline to air, it won't even burn, much less explode!

Brad Pitt? His rifle was a German Sturmgeweher (sp) 44, the world's first true "assault rifle" and sort of the inspiration for the AK-47. His pistol was a 1917 S&W in .45 ACP.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/StG_44

Its Sturmgewehr. Sort of inspiration? They just basically copied it and changed some pieces. Thank goodness they didn't really mass produce and we had the M1 (rifle and carbine) as well as the Thompson and BAR.

Not to mention all the cars that squeal out on dirt roads.

Worst tire squeal sound I've ever heard was in the movie Pearl Harbor, when the "Jimmy Doolittle" B-25s squeal the tires when they start their takeoff roll. B-25s had powered wheels? I think not. :unsure::lol:

since they had to hold the wheel brakes till the engine thrust overpowered the tires in order to get the bombers off a "too short" runway... tire squeal may not have been unrealistic unless the squeal happened when the plane lifted from the deck.

Edited by blunc

since they had to hold the wheel brakes till the engine thrust overpowered the tires in order to get the bombers off a "too short" runway... tire squeal may not have been unrealistic unless the squeal happened when the plane lifted from the deck.

This was in the scene of the takeoffs from the practice strip at Eglin in Florida. The squeal happens when the airplane starts moving, like a car taking off.

I put it in the same category as the sound of gun brass hitting the ground on grass, or dirt, or even indoors on carpet. Or from a revolver, ferpissake, as I saw in at least one episode of Walking Dead. Please! :rolleyes: