Model Cars Magazine Forum

Non traditional work spaces

I, too, build at the kitchen table presently. Mostly due to my permanent work space being in my unheated basement. <_<

I built one of my best models at the kitchen table. We were renovating our house and I lost my model building space. I had a board that I placed on the table to protect it, and the board became a portable work bench. I'd work evenings, so at the end of every work session, I'd put everything on the board, then put it on top of the refrigerator to keep it out of the kids reach.

It worked pretty well. The last 10 minutes of every session became clean up and organization, so I never got down to that last square foot of bench space I now work in!

I built one of my best models at the kitchen table. We were renovating our house and I lost my model building space. I had a board that I placed on the table to protect it, and the board became a portable work bench. I'd work evenings, so at the end of every work session, I'd put everything on the board, then put it on top of the refrigerator to keep it out of the kids reach.

It worked pretty well. The last 10 minutes of every session became clean up and organization, so I never got down to that last square foot of bench space I now work in!

Very soon I'll be grabbing a 4x8 sheet of plywood and some 2x4's to build myself a small bench here in the basement where I currently live. Working on the dining room table completely blows, though it's better than nothing I guess.

Some of you fellas are WAY to organized.

If i dont spend at least 15 munites looking for ' something . . It doesnt feel right

i fell out of my chair on that one. i understand completely. but see Bill, if you organize, you can spend much more time trying to find things. just last night i found a large scale old drag bike i was going to trade but couldn't find it. good thing i put it in that special organized place!!

• 2 weeks later...

Im in the military and live in on-base housing. Our last house was just a 2 bedroom so I had the table on a wall.I had the bottom 3 drawer on my desk, and the larger 5 drawer was under the table. Ive since fastened the two white units together to make the single, taller one

Our house now has 3 bedrooms and I was able to claim one for the computer/hobby room. This is my wall of hobby stuff. I have another larger 3 drawer plastic unit in the closet with my 1/25 stuff and on the top shelf in the closet are my 1/24 kits and spray paints. Im deploying soon so it will all have to get packed up. When I get back, I will have a new addition to the family in the form of a little girl, so my 'office' goes bye-bye and I will be relinquished back to another small area

post-10477-0-64669900-1426045016_thumb.j

Right now I use an old computer desk (especially messy during this shot at the end of a project). Used ones are dirt cheap and sometimes free. They're fairly compact and the sliding shelf can keep your project out of the way when you're not working.

FinishScene.jpg

Wow,I saw this and had to do a double take--thought that it wasn't one of my old pics,LOL! I used to have a pc desk EXACTLY like that (that I bought at Goodwill),used for exactly the same purpose! :D

Edited by Olskoolrodder

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Wow,I saw this and had to do a double take--thought that it wasn't one of my old pics,LOL! I used to have a pc desk EXACTLY like that (that I bought at Goodwill),used for exactly the same purpose! :D

Do another double take. I just picked this up at Salvation Army for $10, and just realized it's the same desk. Must have been a pretty popular model.

IMG_20151128_174501519.jpg

Do another double take. I just picked this up at Salvation Army for $10, and just realized it's the same desk. Must have been a pretty popular model.

IMG_20151128_174501519.jpg

LOL,cool! It must have been at that (popular model). I'd like to find another or similar one myself...since we were forced to downsize square-footage (the lease-purchase house we'd bought into when I had mine,turned out to be a scam,the peeps what sold it didn't own it,we had to move asap into a smaller place,sigh--but hey,that was 3 years ago,so old news now :P ),I'm stuck having to use the kitchen table (which is an IKEA fold-down table,but while nice,it's still the kitchen table,LOL). We still need to go through and get rid of junk piled up (still have 1800sq ft of stuff crammed into 1200 sq ft of space),but one of those/similar would be great motivation to clean and setup a spot in the master bedroom to build :) Nice score :D