Model Cars Magazine Forum

1969 Torino Fastback - Almost finished (plus some commentary) - 04/20/17

Igor

• 2 months later...

I was browsing Facebook the other day and came across this post...

"My new year's resolution is the same as last year's... Finish the build! "

It inspired me to get started on this one again. I started by spraying some color on the body. Craft Smart Premium Metallic Icy Blue Acrylic, from the craft store whose name begins with "M".

2017-01-05 23.19.40~01.jpg

2017-01-05 23.19.10~01.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

With a little less than 3 months until NNL East, and 4 days off from work, I decided to do a little more work on this one.

I painted the gauge faces, the wood trim, vents, and knobs on the dash, and put a drop of Future on each of the gauges. I also cleaned up the rest of the interior.

I am still considering replacing the horn ring with a piece of wire, as the molded in one is way too thick.

Either way, the interior will probably be reassembled tomorrow.

2017-01-23 22.13.45-w.jpg

• 2 months later...

So, with less than two weeks to go until NNL East, I have decided that I am bound and determined to get this model done before then.

I have decided to go back to more stock looking wheels (they may actually be the ones from the original kit, I'm not sure, I have kind of lost touch with which ones are which) and some wider tires (from the 1977 Joker's Goon car) in order to fill out the wheel wells a little bit better.

I have polished the paint job, and sprayed it with a coat of Future. I plan on spraying another coat and then polishing that as well.

More updates to follow, rather rapidly, I hope!

2017-04-10 16.23.23~01.jpg

OK... Lesson learned. Can not use NOVUS on Future. Noted for future reference (no pun intended!).

Hood has been repainted, and will be sanded and polished tomorrow... Then a new coat of Future and I will be back to where I was yesterday.

Minor setback today. I was getting ready to spray a new coat of Future on the hood, and when I powered up the compressor, I heard a "pop" that sounded like air pressure releasing. I checked the hose, and it seemed OK. But no air coming out of the compressor... Oh no... Well, long story short, I opened the compressor and LUCKILY it was just one of the hoses inside had come off one of its nipple. Whew!

Coat of Future sprayed and is now drying.

Second coat coming later, pics to follow.

Edited by Igor

I actually like this ERTL version of the 1969 Torino over the original AMT. The original uses the 1966 promo chassis, but ERtL used the modified stocker chassis with  separate exhaust pipes and extensions. I need to build this kit someday too.

That is some awesome info Bob!!  I have wanted a '69 in

my Ford kits for a long time, and this give me both great

inspiration(Jeff),and good info too(Bob)!!!

Build happy my friends,

David S.

I like where you are going with this one. Back in '69, one of my cousins bought a '69 Fairlane 500 Sportsroof, which was medium blue metallic, with the blue interior. Your build reminds me of that car. I have the same kit in my stash, as well as the '68 and '69 Torino GT Sportsroof annuals. I built the '68 as a kid when the car was new, and I really liked the car.

I cannot wait to see how yours ends up.

Unfortunately for every 3 steps I take forward, I seem to always take at least one step backwards.

I masked off and painted the under hood area black the other day, and somehow I managed to get some black paint on my shiny paint job. I guess I should have painted the back first and masked that off and painted the body after, as I usually do. Oh well, live and learn. I managed to clean it up and get everything back to where I was before.

I decided to mock everything up last night, and discovered that while the tires from the Joker Goon car fill out the wheel wells, they do it a little bit too much, in the rear they hit the fenders. So I dug through the parts box, and found a set that I think will work better.

The tires on the left side of the photo are the ones that I originally had on the model. The ons on the right are the ones from the Joker Goon car. The one in the middle is the one I'm going with. They seem to be very similar in size to the originals, but the wheel backs I am using this time will push them out a little further (I hope!).

2017-04-17 20.07.36.jpg

I have not mentioned until now that this model kind of holds a special place for me (which is why I am spending so much time trying to get it to look right). The first car I remember us having when I was growing up was a 1968 Ford Fairlane 500 station wagon, medium blue metallic with a blue interior and a 289 HiPo under the hood. That car took us from Maine to Florida, and I can remember Dad "dusting" a few cars that thought it was just a pokey station wagon!

Quick mock-up just to see how everything is coming together.

I still have a lot to get finished, but I am off tomorrow, so I am hoping to get most of it done.

I don't want to jinx myself, but this may be the first model in,as many years where I am not still working on it the night before the NNL East.

2017-04-18 23.21.48~01.jpg

Edited by Igor

Nice work on the Torino. Did you have any trouble getting the chassie up under the interior tube. For some reason everytime I try to build one these the chassie rails don't want to go up under the body so well. Thought you might be able to help. Again it looks really good.

Haven't had a problem, yet. I'm a little bit away from final assembly at this point. Had a little problem during the mock up, but I think if I get the interior further up into the body everything should fit OK.

Update: I got almost everything finished up yesterday, still have a couple of little things that I would like to take a look at, but not tonight.

As for the frame (bottom plate)... Yeah, it doesn't really fit well, especially when I decided to glue the back bumper/facia on last night. In order to get the bumper to fit, I had to use a toothpick to hold the frame up far enough, which makes the rear end sit a lot lower than I would have liked.

If I had time, I would take it apart and cut the frame some. But, I do seem to remember that these cars tend to sit down low in the back... So, it's prototypical?

Photos to follow