Model Cars Magazine Forum

’73 Camaro

Scale-Master

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry Jason, no extras.  I only machined what I needed for this project.

Originally I planned to make the exhaust pipes out of solder, so I filled in the mounting holes in the chassis.  But after looking at the kit’s pipes, even though it is for the single crossover style muffler, I saw it would be much easier to modify those parts into what my car has.

I used the left over turbo mufflers from the AMT ’66 Nova (I used to build another one of my cars) and chopped and spliced the Camaro pipes to fit sans the single muffler. The cross-over pipe was made from a piece of one of the headers that didn’t work.  It is all pinned together with aluminum rod.

Base coat of silver ready for proper coloring…

The water temp and oil pressure gauges I machined a couple weeks ago have been installed in their little under dash panel.  The switch for the driving lights has been added to where the cigarette lighter used to be.  A crush sleeve was machined from aluminum and added between the steering wheel and column.  I’m calling the dash done for now.

Thanks Chris!

I made the Wink mirror by milling some smoke colored plexiglass to make the base for the mirror panels.  Then boxed them with some 0.010 sheet styrene.

The mirror faces are made of Mylar.

And a custom decal to replicate the stickers on the front side…

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Chris, when I drive this one sometimes I feel like I'm back in that time too.  In fact I'm just about to take a time trip in it after I post this...

I finally got around to polishing some of the body parts.  First I sanded the hood stripes smooth then hit it with some Tamiya wax.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

After a little hiatus, (and over fifty other models started and finished...) I'm back on this.

I made the harness for the driver's seat.  A couple different kinds of tape, some hand cut Mylar and some custom made decals.

They are Schroth ASM (Anti-Submarining) so there is an electronic inertia reel that mounts into the back seat.  I just took off the Momo pads on the real car, but since they were on it for 20-some years I thought I'd put them on the model.

uwzFrUP.jpg

Thanks Rob.  Yeah, it has been bugging me for a while now, just had to get enough time in one chunk to get on it.

Harness installed on the seat.  The fabric is velour and was replicated by adding talc to the paint.  I misplaced the head rest I already made so I made a new one thus guaranteeing the lost one will appear soon.  The headrest knob was machined from aluminum with the proper 9 notches in it.

rnJHqDs.jpg

Thank you James.

I forgot the fire extinguisher when I was finishing up the interior.  So I made one.  The bottle is aluminum turned on the lathe; the handle is carved from styrene with a stretched sprue nozzle and a piece of tubing for the gauge.  I used the art I already drew for a 1/12 scale extinguisher and reduced it and printed it.  The strap on the real car is Velcro; I used electrical tape on the model.

3NI9S7r.jpg

xZ5s4Kw.jpg

Kob9sKF.jpg