Model Cars Magazine Forum

’73 Camaro

Scale-Master

This is looking really good, especially with the kit you started with. I love how you corrected the front. Makes me want to dig the one I was working on back out. Great job on all the details, and making them look so easy. I totally agree with keeping the sharp corners on the stripes and cant wait to see this completed.

Something solvent based apparently leaked (probably over two years ago) and the corner of the box soaked some of it up and the windshield just happened to be in that part of the box and was damaged.  It also has some scratches I knew I'd have to remove so it's just a little more work than planned now…

XOqOkcG.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys!

I got the core support installed along with the battery and scratch-built terminals and custom made decals.  (Ironically just put new battery in the real one too.)  I also detailed the radiator cap.  Machining the 5/16 terminal screws was fun, they came out smaller than the shavings around the mill.

VdlkoxK.jpg

Really loving this thread.  May I ask (if it hasn't already been answered, in which case point me to the proper location) how you made the custom decals for the stripes and dash?  I'm new to the hobby and am trying to get a feel for what the pros are doing and what's possible in the field.

Hi Larry.

First of all, Thank you!

I draw the art in Adobe Illustrator.  Having the real car on hand and being the one who striped it, I just scaled them down and tweaked them to be printable. 

The dash was masked and airbrushed (by me) but for the model I just took measurements from the kit dash and drew decal artwork to fit it. 

(My "real" job is being the decal artist for Scale-Master Decals.)

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Chris.

When I had the headliner reupholstered on the real car I didn't reinstall the driver's side shoulder harness/holder since it has a four point harness.  I also did not use the sun visors; instead I made adapter plates that mount where the visors would to accept the brackets for the Wink mirror.

Today I made the passenger side shoulder harness and holder then installed the scratch-built Wink mirror I made almost exactly two years ago to the day.

6pPkQlb.jpg