Model Cars Magazine Forum

’73 Camaro

Scale-Master

Yes, it is really close to being done. 

Those bolts were easy since the real ones are 7/8 of an inch.  The tough ones were the 5/16 hex heads for the battery cables.

I make them on my mill.

I put a set of driving lights from my first car (the Vega Kammback) on the Camaro; they were OEM Mercedes Benz units for a 450 SL.  I sourced a pair from the Monogram MB 450 kit and cast copies.

Got the front wheels on it now too…

AeMxkwS.jpg

tLGofdE.jpg

"brass compound punches"

Your results on the taillight chrome rings is downright epic! I'd like it if you would be so kind as to clarify what you mean by "compound", though. Are you simultaneously punching the OD and ID of each ring with a single punch? Must be, I suppose, or you'd need four punches total.

Any chance you have a photo of said punches? I'm a sucker for tiny, precision, machined parts and tools and I've turned plenty of single, round punches in my years but never attempted a "compound" punch. Would love to see your take on that! 

Thanks in advance for any more info you care to share! 

Mike 

I'm not a fan of the door protector trim, but I hate door dings more.  And since they are on the real car I had to make them for the model from scratch… 

I also made reflective mirror faces for the rear side view mirrors from Mylar.

8jEcjwR.jpg

You can expect to see this in the Finished section soon.  I think I just ran out of parts...

Hi Mark,

I've been following this awesome build for a long time.  Almost there! 
What do you source the mylar from?  I've been looking for some (for mirror faces) but I can't seem to find the right  one.

Thanks,

Thanks guys!  It was a fun project. 

Now if I could just find a '68 Vista Cruiser kit I could complete my collection of cars I've owned...

I get the Mylar from the vinyl shop I buy all my plotter materials from.  Any store that sells vinyl should also have Mylar.