Model Cars Magazine Forum
Scale-Master

’73 Camaro

I made decals for the gauges; the lighting isn’t the best so the shadows are blocking the small ones, (fuel, amps, temp and clock gauges). 

I didn’t make a decal for the tach.   Seemed like a waste of time drawing it and then putting the AutoMeter tach in front of it.  I can’t see the factory tach in the real car.  (I don’t even know if it still works.)

Shot the base color (Admiral/Cloisonné) blue from the original touch up paint I had for the real car, with a coat of intra-clear to seal it.

This is really looking great. Nice work on the dash! 

love the wheels, are they from the 3rd gen trans am gta kit?

Sort of...  I cast copies and cut them apart then made fronts and rears with the proper offsets.  The GTA kit wheels are the same on all four corners; they shouldn't be.

Thanks.  But it is far from perfect, it's just a sealer so I can apply the stripes.  First it will be color sanded, then decals and then it will get cleared.

Mark... This build is coming along quite nicely. I love the color you have gone with on this one. keep up the great work.

The sealer-clear coat was sanded out but not polished or waxed.  Custom made stripe decals have been applied. 

On the real car I chose to paint the stripes with hard point corners on the inboard edges (like a Chevelle) instead of the factory stock round radiuses.  I think it accents the pointy nose better. 

Still a few more decals to add before clearing it…

Mark.... That looks great with the White Stripes. I really think having the stripes come to a hard corner looks way better than if you were to of made them round. I like the look.

Thanks a lot Chris!

All the decals were applied a week or two ago and since I was shooting my Corvette, I shot the clear on this too.

Mark, It looks fantastic!  I like the inner hard point corners of the stripes much better!

Mike.

Thanks a lot Chris!

All the decals were applied a week or two ago and since I was shooting my Corvette, I shot the clear on this too.

DSC06891_zpslwzr5rfj.jpg

DSC06890_zpsmxc3ny0x.jpg

DSC06892_zpsncigiqgp.jpg

Mark,  I tried sending you a PM but it says you can't receive messages.

Mike.

Edited by crowe-t

Man, this is looking awesome. That paint job is killer..

Your real Camaro is gorgeous, Mark, and the model is getting there as well!!!  Great thread and thank you for sharing your skills and ideas and processes with us.  I, for one will put some of your build techniques into future models that I build!!!😎👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻🏁

Man you're paint always looks so perfect. Waiting for more.

Thanks guys.  I decided to do some interior work...

I machined a set of aftermarket Auto Meter gauges from aluminum.

A vacuum gauge, tach, and oil press & water temp.

I made decals for the faces and installed the tach and vacuum gauge.