Model Cars Magazine Forum

Engine Colors?

So I know that certasinc ompanies paint their engines with X color, and then sometime the truck manufacturers will paint them up differently, and some give you the option, or let you go custom.

I remember a list a couple of weeks ago on here but can't find it. Diamond Reo should be Gold, right?

From what I've gathered, there were only a few manufacturers that had engines painted other that OEM colors. Kenworth & Peterbilt used white & International used red. Yes, Mack engines were gold, but only the Mack engines & transmissions. Other manufacturer engine installed into Macks were OEM color (Cummins Beige, Caterpillar Yellow, or Detroit Diesel Alpine Green).

Yes, Mack engines were gold, but only the Mack engines & transmissions. Other manufacturer engine installed into Macks were OEM color (Cummins Beige, Caterpillar Yellow, or Detroit Diesel Alpine Green).

Later model Macks, like the CH613 that P&P Resin Works offers, had green engines similar in color to Detroit's Alpine Green.

The early Magnadyne (gas) Mack engines were indeed green,the later (modern) Mack engines are gray (The E-7 in my CX is gray) Krylon "Smoke" gray is a good match,i use it for touch up on the actual engine. Personally,i have never had any problems with Krylon etching the plastic I kits,but may be the primer you're using?..........................Mark

Magnadyne-Gasoline=Green 1940's/50's

Themrodyne-Diesel-Gray,Dark Gray 1950's/60's

Maxidyne-Diesel=Mack Metallic Gold (Engine and trans.) 1960's/70's

E-Series-Diesel=Gray,Dark Gray1980's/90's

MP-Series (current) some are red/black,some are Mack Gray1990's/current

Macks vendor engines (IE: Cat,Cummins,Detroit) were installed in chassis in the color of the brand of particular maker,a Caterpillar engine is very rare in a Mack,but were installed........................................Mark

• 1 year later...

Yes Kenworth and Peterbilt had their engines painted white, Kenworth up to 1975 and Peterbilt up to 1984, but there are exceptions as you can find white engines after and manufacturers color before the said dates.

I think Ford had engines from Caterpillar & Cummins painted Ford Blue in the 1970s.  Not sure about any Detroit Diesels, though.  

International Harvester had all of their engines painted IH red except for the V800 which was blue.