Model Cars Magazine Forum

Customization

Why certainly, my friend....First of all....Welcome to the forum and the world of truck modeling.....I'm sure someone will chime in with some tips on engine wiring, but that's not my expertise....I'm sure Clayton or a few others could help you with the both of these things......I can help you with simple frame extension, though.....It can be accomplished several ways, but I generally use what's on hand and within the budget.....Here's what I've done with the frame from an AMT T-600 Kenworth......Just a few pieces of scrap plastic and a lot of sanding......

SAM_55511024x645_zps539cec4a.jpg

SAM_5556_zpsaaf81c7b.jpg

SAM_55581024x617_zpsa7f5066c.jpg

SAM_55621024x402_zps47a10fd0.jpg

Edited by kilrathy10

Two options to lengthen the drive shaft: cut the u-joints off of the original drive shaft and use tube styrene (or K&S aluminum tubing) to reconnect them to fit the new length. Option 2, use the round spruce in your kit that you no longer need after cutting the parts off, cut a piece to length, cut the u-joints off of the original drive shaft and sand them to a smaller diameter, then drill a hole in each end of the spruce to accept the u-joints. Either option works, just depends on what you have on hand. I typically use 3/32 to 1/8 inch tubing when I make adjustments for fire trucks, just depends on the original kit drive shaft diameter.

Thanks, woulda never though to just use scrap plastic. What about lengthening the drive shaft?

If it is just a short extension like JT showed, I'd just get some plastic tubing either similar in size to the kit driveshaft and use that to make a new driveshaft and just use the kit U joints or get some just big enough to slide over the kit shaft and cut the kit shaft in half and insert into the longer tube. Now, if it is a little more extreme like this one I have in (forever) progress, then more driveshafts are in order.

HPIM3010.jpg

I added 7 1/2 inches to the frame, if I remember correctly. The white is the addition.

HPIM1729.jpg

I took these two bits from a wheel adapter kit (MRC or AMT IIRC) and fashioned a midship carrier bearing to attach the kit's original driveshaft to and still have to make a driveshaft from the engine to the carrier bearing.

HPIM1730.jpg

HPIM1732.jpg

Also, to add strength, I added some square tubing to the top of the framerail to double as a sleeper mount.

HPIM1923.jpg

Thanks for all the tips guys, I'll definitely be using these techniques on my next build. And once I'm good enough at this kinda work I got a big project in mind to truly test my skills. Does a Mad Max style rig with four mopar big blocks tied in with a cummins sound interesting enough?