Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 Revell '29 Model A Roadster 2'n'1

mrknowetall

Strange coincidence that there's been a thread going on about the possibility of one of the manufacturers producing an A on Deuce rails after Mr.Boyd posted his old proposal to AMT about producing a hot rod A? Now all we need is a Lincoln motor (yes I know that one's available) and we can build a famous A.

Would that be the car that drives my Pappy to drinkin'?

Only 3 cars the whole quarter, and one of them is a Tom Daniels novelty kit, but what a hit that A will be if they get it right. I can already see the casters adapting coupe, sedan and many other bodies to this one! I thought I was done spending om new kits this year, (except for the Ford trucks, Del Rio, and a couple of kits to finish my "Shelf of Chevy" project. If the "A" is well done, I can see myself buying a half dozen or more. (Just look at how many '32s and tri fives I have bought the last few years!) Hopefully they will get this one right, and offer several variations of it over the next few years. It looks like we have a couple of wheel choices, and some traditional tires. OOB, I'm guessing that this one could be built as a traditional rod or ratted pretty easily, giving them a twofer on marketing demographics. Of course, if the nailhead is really nice, I will snag it and put one into a '32 Sedan I have dreamed up, and the "A" that loses its motor will end up with a 409 and some '60s mags... I love the possibilities for this. We have some great '32 kits, but the "A" is one of the backbones of hot rodding. This could be a watershed kit for Revell, like the '66 Nova was for AMT. When is this kit being released? I want to be first in line for them!

I've been waiting for this news from Revell to officially break for a long, long time.

I first heard rumblings about a project like this a number of years ago, but never had any official confirmation until I was commissioned by Revell about a year ago to do some minor work on this project (after it had already been designed and tooled). Now Ed Sexton has given me permission to share my impressions about this upcoming kit with you, after having assembled the first test shots from the tooling vendor.

I'll start off by saying this is a most ambitious project. It's like if you listed everything you would ever want in modern / traditional hot rod kits, and then Revell reads your mind and develops the kit accordingly. It has about 95% of what would be on my own personal mental wish list, and several surprising things that go beyond even my most ambitious thoughts.

Here are some elements of the kit that I think you'll find interesting...

* The engine is the one that has been at the top of the wish list for everyone who builds traditional hot rod models....it's a recreation of the 401 Nailhead V8. Of course, I want to hear what the rest of you say after you have a chance to build it, but it's certainly a candidate for the best Nailhead ever put in a kit...

* Two versions of the engine are provided, one with six two-barrels on a log manifold, the other a Hilborn style fuel injection.

* At the time I did the work - get this - the Hilborn setup included a complete fuel block with eight individual fuel lines routing to each injector!

* The basic kit builds two ways....as a traditional '29A Roadster Highboy on a '32 Ford frame....

*...AND as a channeled '29 A Roadster on a "Z'ed" Model A frame. Separate transmission crossmembers for each are provided.

* Both frames and the elements that go with them (suspensions, crossmembers, exhausts, et al) are all new tools – nothing is shared with the prior Revell ’32 Ford Street Rod Series. For instance, the ’32 frame is slightly narrowed ahead of the rear suspension via an inward step in the frame rails.

* Two different traditional tuck'n'roll interiors are designed to fit the Highboy and Lowboy versions.

* The wheels and brake drums are highly detailed....with studs on the finned Buick-style brake drums and holes in the wheels for the studs....and the wheels include fine valve stems. Backing plates front and rear are the traditional ’40 Ford style.

* The ’29 A Roadster body includes a modified rear quarter panel with the wheel well openings moved up in the body (like the Troy Trepanier light olive green roadster from about ten years ago, and several more recent high-viz build projects from others), which then places the tires in the center of the wheel well openings even with the much lower ride height/modern stance incorporated into the Highboy Chassis.

* Speaking of the rear fender wells, Revell's kit fixes an error that is on every kitbashed '29 A Roadster model built with the old AMT body (including my own)....the strengthening ribs on these panels actually protrude outward instead of being recessed as on the AMT body.

* And speaking of tires, they're all new tools and appear just about perfect for all our Traditional Hot Rod Builds...

* One thing that caught my attention is the heavily engraved floorpans for each chassis – all the strengthening ribs you’d expect to see on a 1/1 scale steel body are there.

* There are a number of building options engineered into the tool and when the Revell announcement flyer says “loaded with building options”, let me assure you, they're not kidding.

* The suspension is very traditional up front, with a dropped I-Beam (yes!) and split wishbones. The rear suspension design is more contemporary - what you'd see in a newly built traditional rod designed for driving long miles rather than just posing at the local Rat Rod show. It's a well-executed So-Cal style coil over setup with a modern Dana style diff, very well done with a deeply engraved, separately molded differential pumpkin. (Don’t worry – there are no molded air bags like the prior ’32 Ford series).

* The ride height for both the Highboy and Lowboy chassis appears spot-on - you shouldn't have to be kitbashing on this one to get the ride height you want.

* Wait 'till you see the fuel cell and trunk mounted battery case…

Keep in mind that these observations were based on first round test shots, and there have been many refinements to the tool over the ensuing months, as you would expect. As a result, some things may have changed vs. what I am reporting there.

It should be obvious by now that the kitbashing potential of this kit, with its two different chassis, Nailhead V8, and the many other options it will include, make it every bit the equivalent of the start of Revell's '32 Ford Street Rod series of the last two decades.

I'll provide a bit more background on what I know about this whole endeavor when the kit comes out and you can actually get it in your hands...but as you can imagine, a kit like this does not occur on Auto-Pilot. There are many "heroes" on this project inside Revell, and at least a couple of experts from the outside that I am aware of, whose names you would probably recognize.

So....if you are a Traditional Hot Rod model builder (and I know many readers of this Forum are...), or if even if you’ve never built a hot rod model before but are interested in a very interesting new model kit, this is one that you may want to check out in person on your own modeling desk, and then form your own conclusions….TIM

• Like 1

Wow. I wonder if there will be a coupe and sedan following the roadster?

That looks awesome!

I definitely hope so! In my opinion a Model A Coupe is the best looking Hot Rod car.

With all of those parts that kit has, it makes this 2nd Quarter the most interesting one for a long time, even if I have absolutely zero interest on those other two. I will be buying several of those Model A Roadsters.

Can't wait to see the nitpicking to begin. :lol:

Casey...the wheels and tires are the "new format" Revell design and I think both the front and rear tires are from entirely new tools. I don't have the very latest Black Widow release, but I have one from a couple of years ago and I don't think they are the same. I need to go find it and compare...will edit this post later if I find they're the same. (UPDATE - I just checked, the tires are entirely different than the latest Black Widow kit I have (the 2010 release.))

The frame is entirely different from the Rat Roaster....all new tool. One obvious difference is the open frame design (it's not molded with the floorboard attached), another is that the new frame is "stepped" inward slightly at the forward edge of the rear wheel well, to clear the '29 fender wells and bring the wheels/tires closer to the body.

Best regards...TIM

Edited by tim boyd

I'm not a big fan of the '289, but given the info in previous posts, and the fact that it is a traditional hot rod, I'll buy at least one. It's good to know that Revell does their homework and is capable of producing a quality kit of a long- popular subject. I look forward to seeing what you're gonna do with this kit, Tim.

Just when you think it is safe to go back into the hobby shops, Revell springs this on us!!

WELL DONE Revell and all involved.

Like the 32 Fords I'll be stocking up on a few of these for kitbashing material

I'm pretty excited about this one

Thanks for all the info Tim

Chris