Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 Revell '29 Model A Roadster 2'n'1

mrknowetall

Surprisingly enough, the body length is identical to the AMT kit....TIM

As I stated, the angle of perception, plus the raised and recontouring of the wheel well throws the impression of dimensions off, that and the fact that neither body appears to be the same dimensions as the other,, perhaps do to cgi views.

Lemme axe a stoopid noobie type question (I’m fairly new to rod modeling [pre-‘48]).

About 20 or 30 years ago, Tim Boyd did a build article on a ’29 roadster pickup that was sort of like a supersized Fad T. I always thought that was cool. Recently I was looking through an old ’60s Rod & Custom mag and saw a real car that was very similar to that—a ’29 roadster pickup body, shortened pickup bed, overall Fad T proportions but just a little bigger all round. Would this kit be suitable to build something like that, using the Revell ’29 RP body and bed?

Come to think of it, such a car would be even cooler with the closed cab. Hmmmmmm….

Edited by Snake45

Lemme axe a stoopid noobie type question (I’m fairly new to rod modeling [pre-‘48]).

About 20 or 30 years ago, Tim Boyd did a build article on a ’29 roadster pickup that was sort of like a supersized Fad T. I always thought that was cool. Recently I was looking through an old ’60s Rod & Custom mag and saw a real car that was very similar to that—a ’29 roadster pickup body, shortened pickup bed, overall Fad T proportions but just a little bigger all round. Would this kit be suitable to build something like that, using the Revell ’29 RP body and bed?

Come to think of it, such a car would be even cooler with the closed cab. Hmmmmmm….

Richard...yes you could do this conversion with the new Revell Model A Roadster, using the Z'ed Model A Chassis parts. You could also do this one with the Revell (formerly Monogram) '25 T showrod/Fad T kit that was just reissued a few months back, if you preferred a 1/24th scale version....

Either way, it would be a winner. TIM .

Richard...yes you could do this conversion with the new Revell Model A Roadster, using the Z'ed Model A Chassis parts. You could also do this one with the Revell (formerly Monogram) '25 T showrod/Fad T kit that was just reissued a few months back, if you preferred a 1/24th scale version....

Either way, it would be a winner. TIM .

Thanks, Tim. I don't remember what frame you used on yours. A few months ago when I was rebuilding my ancient AMT Sand T model (AMT '25 T), I tried several different bodies on the completed "rolling chassis" just for fit. IIRC, it was a bit short for the Revell '29 RP or truck body...it needed more wheelbase for the proportions I wanted. Yeah that frame could always be stretched with a plastic graft but I was trying to think of something cool to do with this new '29.

Tim

Will the frame fit Revell's 31 sedan?

Ron

Ron....presumably both the '32 Highboy Frame and the "Z'ed" Model A Frame should fit the Revell '31 A Sedan, but there will be some kitbashing involved.

For the Highboy, there would have to be some modifications to the '31 Sedan floorboard in the rear seat are, and for the Model A Frame, the entire floorboard would have to be modified to allow the Channeled body configuration.

None of this should be a job-stopper for a moderately experienced modeler, and I could foresee some really killer models result, based on your idea....TIM

Strange coincidence that there's been a thread going on about the possibility of one of the manufacturers producing an A on Deuce rails after Mr.Boyd posted his old proposal to AMT about producing a hot rod A? Now all we need is a Lincoln motor (yes I know that one's available) and we can build a famous A.

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=98663

"* Two versions of the engine are provided, one with six two-barrels on a log manifold, the other a Hilborn style fuel injection." + $_35.JPG = ivot.jpgtumblr_lz861hCyeC1qdcd2wo1_500.jpg

Greg...interesting....I can't even begin to determine how many projects this Nailhead will show up in...but an Ivo T conversion sure became a whole lot easier, and I'd use just the approach you suggest. TIM '

Heh...heh...heh...

'probly wont be a OOB build...but I'll be purchasing a few.

No more carving up AMT "Nails" for my vintage Gassers.

Lots of farming out parts for "other" builds...and dropping other "stuff" into the '29 platform. :)

Little did I know my Crystal Ball was working...when I downloaded THESE 'bout 7 years ago...

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg114/Phillip50_2008/BzrtK8gCGkKGrHqFicEw5rbJUU9BMGd4J19Q_3.jpg

BzrtH9g2kKGrHqFhEEw5g95lwiBMGdt33vg_3.jp

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg114/Phillip50_2008/BzrtK8gCGkKGrHqFicEw5rbJUU9BMGd4J19Q_3.jpg

Click on the above...for MORE fun.

Edited by Southern Fried

Greg...interesting....I can't even begin to determine how many projects this Nailhead will show up in...but an Ivo T conversion sure became a whole lot easier, and I'd use just the approach you suggest. TIM '

Tim…Tim….Tim…….. I've mentioned this in the past during the Hemi-Cuda intro, I'll say it again now. Must be tough sitting on good news! An epic release drops, and your posts are so matter-of-fact about waiting on the official intro to talk about it. I wonder how far into the future does your crystal ball go? :rolleyes:

All kidding aside, me & Tim have been cyber-pals for a long time and I truly appreciate his drive and dedication to the hobby. Thanks for being there for all of us! B)