Model Cars Magazine Forum

Peterbilt 351 project

I needed something to occupy my time while waiting for paint to dry on my Reo and IH Transtar.

This is a vintage Cali Hauler kit I received in partially built condition. The cab had been stripped and the engine assembled.

First thing I did was change out the rear suspension. (personal preference) Disassembled the engine and stripped of the chrome and chiseled off most of the noticeable glue blops.

I also drilled / cut the spindles for poseable steering.

The hood conversion is from Dave at AITM - fantastic casting.

P2103863.jpg

I hope you follow along with this new project. :)

Edited by Old Buckaroo

Here is a tip that might help some of you out someday.

I broke the wing window and was able to find the 6mm chunk. I cut a piece of .030" styrene larger then the window. Wrapped it with household wax paper and taped it inside the cab. That gave me table to set the broken off piece on while I glued it back in place. (liquid cement) I have a modified clothespin I clamped over it so it would not take flight of bow out.

I will leave the waxed styrene in place until I paint the interior and then back in it will go till final paint and window installation.

That way I dont break it again.

P2113865.jpg

Thanks guys for looking in and commenting.

Dave - The wheels are from KJ - http://kdhumphr.wix.com/double-take-replicas#!2-hole-245-rims/c159y

I am not using them on this truck, they were just handy at the time.

Yes those are legos 3 high with blue painters tape on top. I have two sets , one is completely covered with tape as I use it for painting frames.

Im gonna play dumb on this one as I haven't done my research, but was that common place for the steering box to be inside the frame rail on the 351's?

Sam - I am by no means an 351 expert. I happened to come across a mid 60's 351 for sale and I remember the pic showing it inside. But -

I am not 100% if it is located correctly - I wedged it between the bell housing and engine in a gap with lots of help from my file and sanding stick. But it is there and you cant see it for the fender anyway - one of those things for my entertainment and challenge.

Terry - thanks , I kinda like the looks of a truck on the shelf with the wheels turned .