Model Cars Magazine Forum

1963 Nova Pro-Street FINISHED 5-8-15

am73grand

Thanks guys for the encouragement. Chris, I'm not going to do the roof white. I'm thinking of doing the whole car Icy Blue with a darker blue stripe or stripes on the hood and trunk....just to give a hint of the Dobbertin car. Also I'm going to use the chrome Centerlines. I'll save the aluminum rims for my next project.

Now that Fotki is back up I can show some more of my work on this......

Here are my scratch built sub frame connectors. One they are painted up they will get photo etched bolt heads:

mgES__vmePW7O-vi.jpg

The floor is flocked and I'm starting on the interior. I'm using lots of components from the Hay T-bird. such as the amps, chute levers, seats and shifter:

O-vi.jpg

I'm pretty proud of how this engine is coming along. I added the alternator and water pump pulleys. Now I just have to run the belts......

noSIO8_5_RacxEBfO5GCDCWJvc-vi.jpg

As always, thanks for looking and your comments keep me building!!

I've never spent so much time on an interior but I think the results are worth it. The floor mats add quite a bit to the look. I found them on E-bay. I've also used decals from Slixx and the photo-etched pieces are from Detail Master.

nBnDMQm9Ur7WVnLukgkmI3QqFcOPyn-vi.jpg

7rAv0qT-vi.jpg

hMn4uB7N5CWCWWx_VPUuG88R_YP_KG-vi.jpg

Next up is painting the body panels. I also need to build/paint the batteries . It's coming along slowly but surely.

Thanks for looking!

Nice work on the Nova. As the owner of a real 1st gen chevy II, I can understand the limited engine room the stock front clip/ suspension gives. I too, remember the Rick Dobberton 65 Nova from back in the day and the pro street craze that was all the rage then. Glad you decided to go with the centerlines as those would be more period correct. The subframe connectors are an interesting detail. I know those make a world of difference in the real cars.

I've never built the trumpeter Nova kit, but from what I've seen, It looks to be pretty nice..Question though, why did you back half the kits stock chassis when you could have just used the floor/ chassis from the AMT 66 pro street nova instead?

Nice work on the Nova. As the owner of a real 1st gen chevy II, I can understand the limited engine room the stock front clip/ suspension gives. I too, remember the Rick Dobberton 65 Nova from back in the day and the pro street craze that was all the rage then. Glad you decided to go with the centerlines as those would be more period correct. The subframe connectors are an interesting detail. I know those make a world of difference in the real cars.

I've never built the trumpeter Nova kit, but from what I've seen, It looks to be pretty nice..Question though, why did you back half the kits stock chassis when you could have just used the floor/ chassis from the AMT 66 pro street nova instead?

Thanks for the comments. There are a couple reasons I did the chassis the way I did. First off I didn't have the '66 chassis. Second, even if I did have the '66 it uses leaf springs in the rear. The real car uses a four link. Also the Trumpeter front end has poseable steering and real springs. This was the easiest and most accurate way to build the chassis.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I had this week off so I decided to wrap up a few projects. This Nova was one of them. I put it all together and hated it. The stance was all wrong and the front tires stuck out too far:

EgGuprsetmd6Op_KZIZ9p_H2CBI5xG-vi.jpg

I was gonna chuck it back in the box but I thought I could fix it. I was right. The stance isn't perfect but I can live with it:

aGSMhrO_7uoJHXskCQiWdgrACW_Y5h-vi.jpg

wbThYxNuYSzuxBwFV6GRtHKrzjz_86-vi.jpg

RUYBpk5uY71Fae5kPYMBmiTOVi-vi.jpg

7G1TrkUak-vi.jpg