Model Cars Magazine Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bernard Kron

Scale Louvers

You guys are good!!!

The louver press you saw in MCM was done by our good buddy George Henry.

He is a machinest/welder by trade and made the scale louver press attached to a pair of vice grips.

I will see if I can bug him for more on them.

Also, Doug Whyte did a feature in MCM on louvers on his `34 Ford quite a while ago.

I remember seeing a couple of Model Mag Issues(I want to say SAE, followed by an updated version in FSM), that had to do with using pieces found in a Model Rail Road Section(Ladders or House Window Shutters??), and then Grafting them onto the panels for styling....

That would be me.

DSCN5333-vi.jpg

DSCN5614-vi.jpg

That would be me.

That was the "modern look" that I refered to above. As you can see they, too, "look the business"! I must say. they are ideally located on that 32's hood sides and don't look at all too modern or out of place. just sort of Duesenberg-like. I have some Grandline HO 39" Wooden Staircases (Item No. 5177) that look really nice and are similar to, if not the same as those in the pic.

I still haven't tried the .040 quarter round route because I'm knee deep building a tonneau cover and full belly pan for the "target" of those louvers, a late 50's-early 60's Bonnevile style '29 A roadster. I'd better get to it soon, though!

Finally, check out Paul Payne's thread in the 1:1 Reference Pictures section (http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9795&hl=) - he's planning a build on the Stu Hilborn Streamliner and Dave Lindsay (SoCalCarCulture) posted some pics of the Jim Lattin recreation he photgraphed at the 2005 Grand National Roadster Show. Now that's a louver job! Paul proposes a combo approach to the pressed louver challenge, to wit: "I'm thinking I will lay out the outline of the louver areas with tape, mark each slot, cut the slot with a razor saw, then cover each slot with Evergreen 0.040" quarter round with the inside removed and the outside ends sanded to shape...". Hmmmm..... B)

That would be me.

DSCN5333-vi.jpg

DSCN5614-vi.jpg

Lyle, I remember a bit of your write up(Not too long ago), but the articles I was refering to, were written back in the mid-late 1990's(Was that you too then??)... The ladders were used for side vents like yours, but the shutters were foil casted, so that they could be added to a curved deck lid....

Great Looking Deuce BTW :)

I've had good luck going the evergreen HO siding route. Once the corners are rounded with some gentle sanding I sand the back(smooth) side of the styrene to make it slightly thinner. Trimaround the edges, and you shouldn't need to counter sink. I like this technique because it is easy to make any lenghth or width. Also easy to follow counters on a decklid etc.

For what it's worth I've been putzing around making 3D printed parts for Landman's Bombardier B-12 project, he needed tracks, and one of the parts is a louvred panel.  Made the CAD model with open louvres and printed it with my Ultimaker filament printer. Worked surprisingly well.

LOUVRE PANEL.jpg