Model Cars Magazine Forum

49 Ford B/GS

dustyplastic

Nice work so far.

Now...I'm not being critical, only trying to be helpful. If you're going for an accurate period look, you need to bring the nose down. The real gas class cars usually had almost level frame rails. Extreme nose-up wasn't permitted. Yes, the nose does come up when the car launches, but at rest, it should sit level.

I know a lot of guys build "nostalgia" cars this way today for some odd reason (probably because everyone else does and they never looked at photos of the real cars) but it's not period-correct if you're building a gasser as it would have looked in the '50s or '60s.

If you're building a "nostalgia" car of today that sits way nose high, you're dead on the money.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Bill, I agree with you on the height of the front end. I was going for the "look" more than accuracy. I used an axle from a 70's funny car kit and it's straight not dropped like most were, and that gave me the height I was looking for without using bigger springs.

These days anything with a straight axle is referred to as a Gasser and I suppose the 49 is, as you call it, a nostalgia car of today.

Thanks for the comments, all are appreciated.

Dusty P.

Nice work so far.

Now...I'm not being critical, only trying to be helpful. If you're going for an accurate period look, you need to bring the nose down. The real gas class cars usually had almost level frame rails. Extreme nose-up wasn't permitted. Yes, the nose does come up when the car launches, but at rest, it should sit level.

I know a lot of guys build "nostalgia" cars this way today for some odd reason (probably because everyone else does and they never looked at photos of the real cars) but it's not period-correct if you're building a gasser as it would have looked in the '50s or '60s.

If you're building a "nostalgia" car of today that sits way nose high, you're dead on the money.

Very true. My theory is that the nose-high look caught on because of published photos of race cars taking off at the starting line. The NHRA rulebooks actually said that the body should sit level, or with a slight rake, with the bottom edge of the body no higher than the centerline of the axles (front and rear) and no lower than the lower edge of the wheels. Not that everything that ran in those days strictly followed NHRA rules, of course.

Back on topic: I like this idea and what you're doing. I've had in mind for some time to do a '49 Ford gasser, just since I have a kit sitting around I don't know what else to do with. '49-'51 Ford gassers seem to be pretty rare but there doesn't seem to be any reason why there wouldn't have been some. Dunno yet what engine I'm gonna use--leaning toward an early Hemi just cause I have a few of them laying around.