Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 Revell '72 Porsche 914/6 2'n1

unclescott58

Hopefully, decals for the Brumos Porsche will be made available.

Also, feel free to scope out my Porsche 914 file. Well, at least the ones that Fotki hasn't yet lost.

http://public.fotki.com/JCole/11-porsche/914-4-914-6/

PORSCHE 914 - BRUMOS PORSCHE [01].jpg

When we were developing HRM's 914/6GT trans-kit I spoke with DMC decals.  He was interested in producing multiple livery sheets but did not wish to add them to his line of decals.  He required that HRM purchase a minimum number of sheets.  A financial risk HRM was not willing to take on in addition to producing the kit.

Another way to attack an IMSA conversion would be to cut the fenders off a 2nd body and just add flat stock around the edges to move them outward.  I did something similar on the 914/6GT conversion.

DSCN0868.JPGDSCN0870.JPG

I was looking at kits having the IMSA/Group 5 fenders that would work.  Seems like they are mostly 1/24.  Also looking at turbo flat 6, the one that would work nicely is also 1/24.  I'm unsure how they would look on the Revell 1/25 914, may be awkward?

What do you think master Yoda?

Edited by aurfalien

I was looking at kits having the IMSA/Group 5 fenders that would work.  Seems like they are mostly 1/24.  Also looking at turbo flat 6, the one that would work nicely is also 1/24.  I'm unsure how they would look on the Revell 1/25 914, may be awkward?

What do you think master Yoda?

Not sure about the fender extensions but I used Fujimi's 1/24 scale 911 engine in both my 914/6 and 914/6GT builds and they fit just dandy.

DSCN1300.JPGDSCN1815

Edited by afx

I am a car fanatic through and through ( Love em all ) but I didn't have very much interest in this kit, " Until " I read this thread. Didn't realize how much you can do with it and now I plan on getting a few and I see a V8 conversation in my future and a pure factory stock too. Man, I really like this little gem. Thank you. 

Jeff 

Now this is one I'd like to build. 

1981%20Sears%20Point%20IMSA%20GTU%20winn

I actually saw this race (1981 Sears Point IMSA GTU winner).  Wayne Baker beat Walt Bohren in an RX-7 in one of those "hammer and tong" races. Also watched Klaus Ludwig in the Ford Mustang Turbo punt Brian Redman in a Lola T-600 in the last turn of the last lap.  What's the chance for some aftermarket decals for the 914?

Edited by The Junkman

Probably could use some of the useless Arii C111 bits on that. Amazed nobody did good C111 Benz. But I'll have to dig my Arii out, as it's far closer to Tapiro than C111. 

Ditto on the C111.  I got a Nakamura C111 kit a while back.  Better than the ARII, but not by much.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone noticed that there are no windshield wipers in this kit? Strange omission considering the nice level of detail otherwise. Any recommendations for a source for suitable wipers for this kit?

Best way to deal with lack of wipers on a sports car kit... turn it into a race car!

However, if one must have wipers, look in other kits that have already been designated as "parts doners".
However, the best idea is the most challenging, yet also the most rewarding. Picturing a pair of wiper blade assemblies, it is nothing more that a few small shapes. The arm base is a tapered wedge. From that comes the remaining thin arm. All this can be done with Evergreen Strips, available at a well stocked hobby shop. A nice, easy way to get into scratch building.
Don't forget the blade itself. You could either cut sheet stock, or again use something like their .030 x .030 strip stock. Use your fingers to gently persuade it to the curve of the windshield. Use jewelers drill bit to add a flat head pin to the base of the wiper into the body at the bottom of the windshield. To attach the blade to the glass, use a sparing amount of Devcon 5-Minute Epoxy. You will have approx. 4 minutes to work. After that it will start the curing. Any glue that oozed out around the edges can be cleanly removed with a gentle hand, a sharp Ex-Acto #11 blade, and... most important- a toothpick! Six or seven minutes in, poke at the curing glue....IN THE MIXING CUP. If it's time, go to work on the model body. If the glue feels rubbery, use the knife, followed by the toothpick to work free the excess epoxy. as the rubbery consistency works in your favor, use the pick to peel it up and away. If any residue left, keep at it with the pick. Be careful to avoid scratching the window with the knife. Perhaps a sharpened toothpick might be the way to go.

PORSCHE 914-6 [03].jpg

Both those wheels are the 4 bolt VW pattern wheels the 4 cylinder cars had.

The 914-6's had 5 bolt wheels, usually Fuchs, but some had steelies and caps. I think Mahle gas burners were available too, but uncommon. Looked awesome though. 

post-10181-1275230707.thumb.jpg.df39497bSurf_Porsche.thumb.jpg.ae6371a805ac80d64

Just had to add this pleasant pic of the Tapiro too.

porsche_tapiro_concept-05.thumb.jpg.16f4

Edited by keyser
Mahle gas burner pic

I just got mine tonight too, and I'm pretty pleased. One piece tires (online instructions and the instructions in the box show two piece), molded in white, two full sets of glass (stock and racing windshields, each with a rear window and tail lights), and a set of exhaust headers with trumpet/SuperTrapp type pipes, along with the other racing equipment. There's some flash, but not too bad.

I've had most of the other issues and this is my favorite, mainly because of the white plastic and one piece tires. IIRC, all the other issues were in colored plastic. Nothing much else has changed. Nice decal sheet with red, black and white PORSCHE door stripes, gauges, and other racing type decals.

I'm thrilled to have it, and it's moved to the head of the build list.

I just got mine tonight too, and I'm pretty pleased. One piece tires (online instructions and the instructions in the box show two piece), molded in white, two full sets of glass (stock and racing windshields, each with a rear window and tail lights), and a set of exhaust headers with trumpet/SuperTrapp type pipes, along with the other racing equipment. There's some flash, but not too bad.

I've had most of the other issues and this is my favorite, mainly because of the white plastic and one piece tires. IIRC, all the other issues were in colored plastic. Nothing much else has changed. Nice decal sheet with red, black and white PORSCHE door stripes, gauges, and other racing type decals.

I'm thrilled to have it, and it's moved to the head of the build list.

Jim where did you pick yours up at?

Jim where did you pick yours up at?

I bought mine on Amazon.com for $23 and free shipping from Supreme Hobbies in Gilbertsville, PA - it was delivered last night.

I've been watching every local hobby shop, including Michaels/AC Moore, between Annapolis and Funkstown for the last couple of weeks. No luck so far. I will be getting more of the kits, so I'll be keeping an eye on the local stores.

Edited by SSNJim