Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 Revell '72 Porsche 914/6 2'n1

unclescott58

I am looking at the 914 too. The engines will beef up a couple of my dune buggy and bus projects, and one will be built stock. I really want to build one up as a rusted out orange one that three of us (yes, three!) drove out from Port Huron MI to Chicago, and back through Wisconsin and the U.P. It was quite an interesting trip.

Only if you did it in the middle of winter.

• 8 months later...

Do you think it will be a re pop or a re tool?

The 914 will be a reissue of the Revell kit.  However it is supposed to include the racing windscreen from the Richie Ginther version along with all the street car parts.  Originally the race car version and the street car version were separate kits.

race914.jpgpost-481-1423637390.jpg

The 914 will be a reissue of the Revell kit.  However it is supposed to include the racing windscreen from the Richie Ginther version along with all the street car parts.  Originally the race car version and the street car version were separate kits.

race914.jpgpost-481-1423637390.jpg

Ah, cool info AFX, thanks!

PS There was a tuner here in Venice Beach called beach Boys Racing circa early 90s.  They specialized in slant nose 914 conversions as well as V8 conversions for em.

It would be cool to build 914 V8 complete with wide tires/wheel wells and of course the slant nose.

Edited by aurfalien

The hobbico.com site has the instruction sheet for the kit. In addition to the mentioned windscreen and racing seat, there are mods for the engine including comp exhaust. Here's the link to it:

http://manuals.hobbico.com/rmx/85-4378.pdf

I remember building it in the red R. Ginther version when it was released so many years ago. It was a challenge yet it was possible to have a pleasing result. The trans kit is great to have as well. Worth checking out the original build of that in the forum.

Cheers Misha

Wasn't this kit once issued with 4 fender flare pieces?  I don't see any reference to fender flares in the instruction sheet.

A guy here on the board...afx... did a conversion to the flared version, but Revell never did.

Here's the thread:   http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/72527-porsche-9146-gt-casting-begun-61814/?page=1

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

PS There was a tuner here in Venice Beach called beach Boys Racing circa early 90s.  They specialized in slant nose 914 conversions as well as V8 conversions for em.

I remember the Beach Boys Racing version. They chopped off the sail panels / roll-bar and laid the windshield back too. Probably the best looking 914 body kit ever done.

Image result for beach boys racing porsche 914

The Chalon was a good looking conversion kit too.

914+61332185572.jpg

Below is one I designed and built for a client. The owner of a well-known Porsche parts house wanted a kit-car developed to go on a 914 that was styled after the 904. I was in the process of finishing this, we had a falling out shortly after this photo was shot coming out of my basement, and several people over the years have claimed it as their work. I can, of course, prove it's my design and my work. (There is another earlier version done for the same company that's an ill-proportioned turd, so poorly conceived as to be un-buildable. NOT my design. Which is why they hired me. :D)

9014-2.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I remember the Beach Boys Racing version. They chopped off the sail panel and laid the windshield back too. Probably the best looking 914 body kit ever done.

Image result for beach boys racing porsche 914

I met Bob Farnham in the early 90's, drove down there with my 914.  Seems like a lotta cool stuff was coming out of Cali back then.

Apparently you can buy his DVD on making the kit.  I regret selling my 914 :(

Below is one I designed and built for a client. The owner of a well-known Porsche parts house wanted a kit-car developed to go on a 914 that was styled after the 904. I was in the process of finishing this, we had a falling out shortly after this photo was shot coming out of my basement, and several people over the years have claimed it as their work. I can, of course, prove it's my design and my work.

(There is another earlier version

done for the same company that's an ill-proportioned turd, so poorly conceived as to be un-buildable. NOT my design. Which is why they hired me. 

:D

)

9014-2.jpg

That's a killer design.  It's very 904-esque in the front.  Very very cool.

The shape of the door, very similar to a 911, the door handle...unique to the 914, and the shape of the roof sail-panel are the tells. 

In addition to the details Ace-Garageguy noted on the 914 the windshield frame turns back where it meets the removable targa top.

DSCN1055.JPGDSCN1022.JPG

Edited by afx