Model Cars Magazine Forum

Raymond Loewy's '53 Studebaker design is so good, so all-of-a-piece, that the vast majority of attempts to "improve" it as customs fall short, and usually make a beautiful car into an ugly mess. This one looks pretty good to me. Not entirely my taste, but respect for the purity of the original design is what makes this one work better than most. More here... http://www.barrett-jackson.com/Archive/Event/Item/1953-STUDEBAKER-CHAMPION-CUSTOM-ROADSTER-112604

1953-studebaker-custom-01.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

It's hard to improve upon the original, and I would say this one didn't do that. That roof and the door tops/A-pillar is just not working for me. If you're going to lower the roof, section the body to match it, otherwise you end up with this:

112604_Side_Profile_Web.jpg

The entire lower 2/3 of the body looks massive compared the the low, flowing roof now, and those huge rear wheels only serve to exaggerate the proportions.

Stock (I think) body:

7b5da0dd7ed05d5ab12447e02436c5d1.jpg

Bill, do you recall who built the red '53 Stude Starliner which was featured in Hot Rod in '91 or so? It had a camel leather interior and was fairly low key...

And while I'm hi-jacking, check out this Special Interest Autos article which has a drawing on the bottom of the first page (page 22) showing a very familiar C-pillar...

http://deansgarage.com/wp-content/uploads/EarlsSketchbook.pdf

It's hard to improve upon the original, and I would say this one didn't do that. That roof and the door tops/A-pillar is just not working for me. If you're going to lower the roof, section the body to match it, otherwise you end up with this:

I agree entirely, and that's why I said this one works "better than most.". Where the less-than-entirely-successful proportions come from on this particular car is the shortening of the wheelbase (through the quarter panels) to make it a "roadster", and the unfortunate new door cut-line.

Put your thumb over the cut-line and imagine it with a just-slightly longer wheelbase, and just slightly smaller rear tires, and it's quite good. (Enough of an inspiration for me to put photos and notes in the "someday" build list, anyway.)

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Put your thumb over the cut-line and imagine it with a just-slightly longer wheelbase, and just slightly smaller rear tires, and it's quite good. (Enough of an inspiration for me to put photos and notes in the "someday" build list, anyway.)

That rear door line draws all the eye-tention away from the best styling line on the car. Not good.

This is one of the parts of modeling I love the best...to see a real custom that has a lot of good ideas, but just doesn't quite make it all the way (in my opinion, anyway) and to be able to rework it in model form into what I would have preferred the original to be.

I agree that with the wheelbase as short as it is on the silver car, a light sectioning of the lower body would benefit the proportions.

Bill, do you recall who built the red '53 Stude Starliner which was featured in Hot Rod in '91 or so? It had a camel leather interior and was fairly low key...

No, but there are a ton of attempts at "improving" this car that miss by a mile...

1953StudeCommander_resized.jpgEarly-Studebaker-Commander.jpg

Bill do you know which shop built the stude I fing it interesting that the barret jeckson catalog page doesn't mention the huilder.

Jimmy Varacalli built the car, called the "Studester". Here's more pix with the top off. Click "About" for info on the build, the mods and the builder.

http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/jasch/vehicles/25322