Model Cars Magazine Forum

First Build - '69 Camaro

vroomvroom

Hey Everyone, I recently started my first build, so thought I'd post my progress here. I was going to do Knight Rider, but decided to do this one first to get some practice.

I finished the engine, here's a pic:

post-15154-0-22144600-1423958731_thumb.j

I also primed a bunch of other pieces today that I am going to spray paint black. I didn't prime the engine fyi.

I guess the part that I've found the most difficult so far is to know what pieces to glue together before I paint them, and which to paint first, etc. And then trying to scrape off the paint where I need to glue it. So I'm figuring that out as I go, unless anyone has any advice for me!

More coming soon...

For better detailing, you'll want to paint most parts separately, then remove paint as necessary to glue and assemble them, which it looks like you've figured out on your engine. There's always exceptions, and if you have questions about how something should look, use Bing images (or some other search engine) for research.

It looks like you have the carburetor mounted on it's side. Look at the instructions closely and see if you can tell how it should be installed. Unfortunately, the part drawings in kit instructions are usually not very detailed, so it's easy to install something incorrectly if you don't know how it should look already. Here's a pic of a big block in a '69 Camaro to give you an idea of how the carb mounts.

engine2.jpg

Edited by robs4516

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, finally had some time to do some more work. Not really worried about the carb, since I wouldn't even know what it was if I was looking straight at it, lol.

The bottom is almost done, just have to glue a few more pieces, and touch up a few things with paint.

Here's the finished interior:
post-15154-0-34378900-1425264816_thumb.j

And I just painted the body. I personally think it came out great for being my first one. You can see kind of a weird spot on the back, but it's not really noticible in person. Not sure exactly what caused that. I sanded the whole thing and resprayed, but it's still there. Oh well.

post-15154-0-68713600-1425264893_thumb.j

Next I'm going to add the decals to the body. And then I was thinking about clear coating it after I add the decals to help make them stay. Or is that a bad idea?

Or would it be a better idea to do the clear coat after I add the decals, front grill, headlights, etc.?

And just for reference, here's the kit I'm building:

post-15154-0-80101500-1425265167_thumb.j

I look forward to hearing what you guys think so far!

Looking good, Tony! For your first build, you are doing a great job!!!

As far as the decals... you can clear over them, but being this is your first build, I personally wouldn't. I wouldn't let my advice deter you, but I'm not sure if you are planning on wetsanding and buffing or not, either. The decals should stay on fine without any clear added. When you clear coat, you don't have to do the grill and all the other stuff... just the body and hood, etc.

Tim

looking good. beware, the decals are tough on this one, the hood mostly. I had issues on all 6 of mine even with using micro-sol, as they don't conform to the curves and peaks in the hood. also, on the very front one, put the hood on, then put the decal on, after it dries, cut the decal where the hood meets the front end of the car. this will make more sense when you actually do it.

hope this helps some, and keep going, looks great.

looking good. beware, the decals are tough on this one, the hood mostly. I had issues on all 6 of mine even with using micro-sol, as they don't conform to the curves and peaks in the hood. also, on the very front one, put the hood on, then put the decal on, after it dries, cut the decal where the hood meets the front end of the car. this will make more sense when you actually do it.

hope this helps some, and keep going, looks great.

Thanks for the advice. After cutting out the decals, I decided to just leave them off. They aren't cut perfectly straight, so they look weird, plus with the difficulties of putting them on the hood, I'll just leave my good paint job alone. :) Although, I just painted the windshield wipers and door handles chrome. A little got on the body, so I'm gonna touch that up and then clear coat the whole thing.

• 5 months later...