Model Cars Magazine Forum

Volvo VN 780 & Race Trailer (Lift Gate DONE, Unbelievably 05-19-2015)

Thanks, Jonathan....I appreciate it....

Well, I said, before that everything was going to plan, but I'll have to scrap the Raptor idea....I placed my recently completed Raptor in the back and discovered that it's going to be a 1/4" too flippin' tall....Oh well....Good thing I just happened to have a couple of Mustangs sitting around.....They look ok sitting in there, but I may go another direction....

SAM_7321%201024x768_zpsidx0lked.jpg

SAM_7323%20768x1024_zpsrbpw2vpn.jpg

SAM_7325%201024x512_zps0qgphalf.jpg

Edited by kilrathy10

Man that floor is poppin. It's an attention getter for sure. It's too bad the Raptor. To bad the suspension don't work. The race teams use ratchet straps to compress the suspension and put little tires on to get the real racers in the transporter. Oh well, looks cool with cars in there. The interior looks great man.

Thanks, Man....Yeah....I know about how they scrunch 'em down with those itty bitty tires and such, but I didn't want to mess up a good Raptor model.....Sucks, because I just finished painting the body.....Oh, well....I've got other stuff....I've even got an old Pro Stock Thunderbird that's looking at me right now....Still not sure what to display with it, yet.....We'll see, though....

I've got the elevator assembled and painted....Should have it installed by tomorrow....Pictures acomin'....

Elevator lift gate fabbed up and assembled.....Sorry, I couldn't get any more detailed with this, as everything was done on the fly....I wasn't, exactly, sure HOW I was going to do it....It's my first one, you know...

First, I made up a frame designed to fit snugly into the back of the trailer.....

SAM_7327%201024x644_zpslp8ebkeq.jpg

SAM_7330%201024x591_zpseogo8fuk.jpg

I had originally designed for the elevator to be able to drop to the ground, hence the cut out, but I felt I needed a little more stability at the bottom, so it ended up a little different, as you will see in the other photos.....

SAM_7337%201024x768_zpsmxoulvhx.jpg

Then I used a couple of small nails I had laying around to secure the lift gate.....

SAM_7343%201024x683_zpsjz7e0pq5.jpg

And this is how it all fits together.....

SAM_7344%201024x833_zpsc9d1qgyo.jpg

Now, all that's left to do is add a flip out deck piece....But I'll do that later....Time to install it onto the trailer....

SAM_7347%201024x768_zps46k4oeku.jpg

SAM_7348%201024x768_zpsktgwpify.jpg

Edited by kilrathy10

Got some paint applied.....It was killing me to have had to let this dry, but I was patient....NOT !!

SAM_7354%201024x531_zps9zh4i2ur.jpg

I couldn't stand it....Got it installed after a few hours....

SAM_7357%201024x768_zpszuzziv5k.jpg

Now, after this all dries, I'll close it up and take shots of it up and down....Obviously, I'll have to move my vehicle racks back to reach the new lift, but that will have to wait till morning.....

SAM_7358%201024x768_zpsy9px7bk9.jpg

Edited by kilrathy10

Nope.....Lied about that, too....Just had to see it up and down and closed up.....

SAM_7359%201024x768_zpshxsa2m3z.jpg

SAM_7361%201024x569_zpsjrvofeel.jpg

After playing with it a bit, I see that I could have set the bar the chains are attached to a little higher.....Hind sight is 20/20....Oh, well.....Next time....I'm not gonna mess with it.....The cars fit underneath....Barely, but they do, so I'm satisfied.....

SAM_7364%201024x756_zpscpsurdwz.jpg

Had to rework the roof to fit my modifications, so that will go on, tomorrow.....I have to paint it all over again, but I ran out of Silver Foil Metallic paint......Uh Oh....An excuse to go to Hobby Lobby.....Amazing how that works, huh???

SAM_7371%201024x708_zpssy8um3do.jpg

Edited by kilrathy10

It took no time at all for you to imagine your gate and to get it built ( Idea to fruition ). Truly impressive. Your gate came out clean, smooth and functional. Can't wait to see your roof for the trailer. "Stay low, go slow. Kill first. die last. One shot, one kill. No luck, all skill!" I'l break that down for you, move carefully, Think clearly, be precise, all skill. Nice skills, Great work.

Edited by GrumpyGrowly

Thanks, Guys....It took all day, but I was very happy with the outcome.....

And, thanks, Jonathan....No need to expound....I was in the Corps a "few" years back :D .....I read you loud and clear.... As does Gator, I'm sure....

Edited by kilrathy10

Outstanding work JT. Im very impressed with all of the interior work on this trailer. Then I saw the working lift gate. Your definitly a pro with these race trailers. The checkerboard floor is an excellent touch. Just great job all around man. You might have answered this earlier in the thread, but where did you source all of those tool boxes from?

Thanks, Guys....It took all day, but I was very happy with the outcome.....

And, thanks, Jonathan....No need to expound....I was in the Corps a "few" years back :D .....I read you loud and clear.... As does Gator, I'm sure....

Roger that….Just didn't want any misunderstandings. Not condoning violence. ; )

Semper fidelis

Edited by GrumpyGrowly

Outstanding work JT. Im very impressed with all of the interior work on this trailer. Then I saw the working lift gate. Your definitly a pro with these race trailers. The checkerboard floor is an excellent touch. Just great job all around man. You might have answered this earlier in the thread, but where did you source all of those tool boxes from?

Oh, Man....I forgot to answer you....

I did mention it, before, but for you, Terry, I'll say it again.... I got them from the AMT race trailers.....Took two of them, but I was never going to use them for those, anyway....They're amazingly simplistic....I was going to scratch up my own, but I remembered I had them....Saved a bunch of time on this....

Edited by kilrathy10

My bad, I thought we were playing "Name That Rock Star From The 80's".... ;)

LOL.....Y'all are crackin' me up....Thanks a lot, Guys.....You've just dated us all..... :D Not that anyone cares....Got a lot of old frats on here....Some even older....

Nice work JT. I miss the 80's

Ken. B)

You are a man of great talent. that build is awesome. The scratch built trailer is a piece of art.

I really like the Volvo tractor and I plan on buying one someday. did I notice right, there is no engine in the kit? Seems like a lot to pay for no engine and a non opening hood.