Model Cars Magazine Forum

There have been some changes made since the last post. I found after working up a part of the body that the tires and wheels are just too small. Some RTV is on order so I can cast up some new ones like what I have in these photos. I also changed the engine to one that is more like the one in the truck. The cab was raised to match the lines of the body. Sometimes things don't go exactly according to plan. Adapt and overcome, eh?

025_zpsylj3lixy.jpg

023_zpsfqqhf5pm.jpg

026_zpsdgtxbaai.jpg

027_zps3rtqlior.jpg

The pulley belts came from a local source. A brown paper bag. I just cut strips, wrapped them around the appropriate pulleys and superglued them in place. Then a little weathered black paint and there you are!

The engine was obtained from Ken Kitchen who lives in Colorado Springs. I did a small amount of re-working but the bulk of it is his resin casting.

Got some more work out of the shop elves this week. RTV mold material arrived so I was able to make up a set of new tires for the rig. I used a plastic master from an old Ertl IH logging truck kit. The tires were a soft plastic in two pieces but they were not well mated so it took some work to get that right. Once the mold was made it was easy to make duplicate copies in two part resin. The two white copies in the background were first pops and didn't turn out very well. The rest are fine and have been painted with Floquil weathered black.

031_zpsrsl9dcfe.jpg

Here's a shot of the parts so far. Plenty to go yet. The engine is nearly complete and will have to be finished when it is installed permanently on the chassis and after the cab is on. "Wiring" to the battery and coil, etc. can only be completed then.

030_zpsj3svl5fu.jpg

A bit more done on the F-7. The plastic driveshafts in most truck kits just don't look right so I tend to make my own. Using some brass square stock, brass tubing and the the brass rod X's that I showed previously, the driveshafts were made up. They are done in sections that slip together so it's easy to install the ends into the axle pumkins and transfer case.

034_zpsbnjcrngm.jpg

037_zpsv9ccnfdy.jpg

work continues on the F-7. Tonite the headlight trim rings were turned on my lathe and some lenses were taken from the parts box. The front bumper is set where it should be but it will need some additional work on the ends. The body has 3 compartments; one on each side and one in the rear. The doors have hinges of brass tubing and stainless steel. The door cutouts will have some of Don Mills slam locks. The lone bumper in front of the truck is the beginning of the top brush bar that wraps around the front and sides. The drive shafts have been finished and painted for installation once the frame is done. I set some double sided tape on the hood sides to temporarily see where the hood trim will sit.

040_zpsuf288bqi.jpg

039_zpsamzaf7sx.jpg

041_zpsyqvjekzw.jpg

Hi, Frank. I did answer your post. But to reiterate it came from Ken Kitchen of Colorado Springs, CO. He does resin castings under the name of Kitchen Table Resins. I did not see your pm. Sorry.

Hi Charles, thanks for the info in the engine. Sorry but I must have miss your 1st reply.

The last couple of days have been intense making small brass hinges for the doors so that they could open. 0.018" brass tubing and stainless steel wire that fits neatly inside was used along with some C section brass. Now the doors open and close pretty well. I opened the doors by scribing the outline with the back of an Xacto knife. The engine is now installed on the painted chassis. The photo of the real truck shows how far there is still to go on the model. One thing at a time...

046_zps8kcggwfj.jpg

044_zpslfnr75wk.jpg

043_zpsez8gvkcf.jpg

Hi, Aaron. About the 8 lug wheels: I just sanded of the 10 lugs smooth. I used a circle template to locate 4 lug points as a square and then filled in between with 4 more. I used some plastruct hexagonal rod cut in pieces to glue on as new lugs.

I would be interested to see how you did those hinges ?

I'll have to draw something up so you can see the process. Will try and come up with something.