Model Cars Magazine Forum

Resto-Mods & Modern Hot Rods

... I've seen ONE locally. An old 240Z with a Toyota 2JZ, Weber carbs, big brakes, coil-overs and about 4" of ground clearance. The real deal, built with mostly junkyard parts.

Now that would be a pretty nice looking engine compartment since the 2JZ has a reasonably good looking cam box on it. 25 year cutoff = 1990. What would be the nicest donor car to gut, leaving the safety stuff intact, of course, to build the ultimate Georgia Loophole ride, I wonder?

25 year cutoff = 1990. What would be the nicest donor car to gut, leaving the safety stuff intact, of course, to build the ultimate Georgia Loophole ride, I wonder?

One of my "hope to get to it this summer" project cars is an '86 MR2. I think I can get around 500 pounds out of it by ditching the heavy bumper reinforcements, door beams, factory seats (I have some OEM Porsche 914 buckets that weigh nothing) etc. Also already have a 1990 Taurus SHO engine/gearbox that fits very nicely in the engine bay.

We shall see.

I always have been a fan of the Series 1 Mister Two. When I was about to start the Sprite the co-finalist was doing a Supercharged MR2 in the modern style. I opted for the Sprite because I located a rust-free tub in the bare metal - that clinched it... Funny thing, at that time I was driving a white first series SHO. That Yamaha engine was sweet, but I kept going through clutches and the car didn't handle all that well. I flipped it for a Series 2 GTi which made me much happier. I guess I like light cars...

Wouldn't gutting the bumper and door reinforcements get you in trouble with John Law?

Edited by Bernard Kron

In the old days, we all had the romance of finding some old hulk in a field and completely rebuilding it, either as a restoration, or as a hot rod. We would rationalize the car as a hot rod because, "it was too far gone to restore, and that's better than rotting in a field".

and yet today, throw enough money at it and you can do anything. Here's an A-20 photo version that crashed and the crew set off a termite grenade to destroy sensitive equipment. You can see there isn't much left of the cockpit. However it has been retrieved and moved to Gosshawk Unlimited in Casa Grand and will be restored to flying condition. No spare parts, no parts stores, little or no instructions but you can bet ti will fly. http://www.gosshawkunlimited.com/projects/potential-projects/douglas-a-20-havoc/

a-20_gosshawk.jpg

Edited by Greg Myers

Every damm thing on the car was done by chimps.

I think I can get around 500 pounds out of it by ditching the heavy bumper reinforcements, door beams,

Umm, not to be critical but cut out crash beams? Your contradicting yourself, although it DOES sound like a bad-ass ride!

If your cutting the shell into a potatoe-chip, are you planning on a cage? Brakes? Sounds like a seriously cool project!

sounds like most here are not into hot rods and customs but prefer stock stuff?

I just to want to be clear on my take; I am not anti hot rod or resto mod by any means. I even freely admit my own truck isn't stock. Fact is, I like a well executed hot rod or even a resto mod. I only take issue with those who claim that an old car "has to" be "upgraded" to be able to drive them on todays roads.

I just to want to be clear on my take; I am not anti hot rod or resto mod by any means. I even freely admit my own truck isn't stock. Fact is, I like a well executed hot rod or even a resto mod. I only take issue with those who claim that an old car "has to" be "upgraded" to be able to drive them on todays roads.

That's the enigma: Driving a "correct" old car would include bias-ply tires, drum brakes, and single circuit brakes, no? I feel the radial tire upgrade is so common on "drivers" that the brake up-grade makes sense. Remember, the car in front of you has twice the braking power and control than an older car can ever hope of possessing. Me personally wouldn't want to rear-end someone because I didn't have the reserve braking, or ability, and leave me in a position of liability for mine and the other person's property. Liability being the big word.

On a separate, but indirectly related topic, in the Barracuda I have an in-car camera facing out across my dash (speedometer, tach, gear position) and across the hood so if something bad happens, I have recourse. An insurance company will spend $9,00 to avoid paying $10,000.

Sometimes modifying an old car that's being driven is somewhat a necessity, depending on YOUR circumstances too don't forget.

Wouldn't gutting the bumper and door reinforcements get you in trouble with John Law?

As far as I'm aware, there just aren't any laws specifically pertaining to removing or altering crash stuff...yet. If it's not against the law, it has to be legal, right? That's my carefully considered opinion, anyway. B)

The only laws on the Ga. books that mention altering older vehicles pertain specifically to emissions systems. Even there, the law is vague, as the 25-year cutoff simply exempts vehicles from having to pass the emissions test. It doesn't specifically say you can trash it, but not having to pass the test (both visual appears-as-delivered and sniffer) provided the only cost-effective solution to keeping my '89 GMC truck running after a massive EEM meltdown...which was to replace the computer-controlled ignition-timing system with a mid-'70s style HEI distributor, and a 2-bbl carb. Works great.

I'd keep the door beams. Here's the Celica that my daughter got t-boned in. See the beam? That door held fast and jammed in place. Just like Toyota wanted it to. Saved my daughter from any injury, maybe saved her life.

I'm odd, maybe. I've never gone around thinking in terms of protecting my own ass much. Really. I have a Beck 550 Spyder replica. Some fool t-bones me, I'm toast, period. My favorite ride of all time was my Lotus 7 Series 2, just about identical to this one. Even less protection than the Spyder.

Lotus7_2-L.jpg

And speaking of modifying old cars for todays roads…...

Personally, as much asI love the styling cues on my Barracuda, the tail light suck as far as being visible. I installed a pair of on-line "barrel" LED plug-in bulbs to try and improve the visibility. It just looks like a REALLY BRIGHT dot in the center of the lens. I wanted better.

Here's my modified LED reverse lights, which from the factory is just a single 1156 bulb aimed down from the top of the lens area only….

20441471140701-vi.jpg

23441590063915-vi.jpg

And here some LED prototype taillights I've come up with

57441841917137-vi.jpg

I'm doing this because I want people to SEE ME when I drive, brake, and signal. I also installed a high mounted LED third brake light when I built her.SANY0024-vi.jpg

Are these required? No. Do I expect everyone to follow what I believe a car should have? Exactly, that's the point….. everyone does what they're good with. :)

Even less protection than the Spyder.

Dude, back in the 80's I had a Devin Porsche. Tell me about "putting yourself OUT there"! Most of my friends refused to even get in that darn thing….. I also had an MG Midget for a VERY short time. I was tired of doing undercarriage inspections of every vehicle on the road and always wondered if I was ever going to see the remains of another MG Midget under one. It was like driving a go-cart. And considering the age I was then (Immortal….) it scared me then.

But a Beck 550 Spyder. Oh my………….. considering the price of entry, quality, and replication of an absolutely iconic Porsche I've lusted for one myself. But that whole self-preservation thing pops into my head again….

But boy would I love to own a Beck 550. :wub:

Umm, not to be critical but cut out crash beams? Your contradicting yourself, although it DOES sound like a bad-ass ride!

If your cutting the shell into a potatoe-chip, are you planning on a cage? Brakes? Sounds like a seriously cool project!

Like I said above, self-preservation just isn't that high on my list of priorities. So far, I haven't been t-boned...knock wood. I really PAY ATTENTION when I'm driving tiny, vulnerable cars. I once saw a big, heavy '70s Caddy in the rear-view mirror coming up FAST when I was stopped at a light in the old 7. What do you do? The Caddy stopped in time...just. I'm glad. I've enjoyed some more moments of living since then, but everybody gots to go sometime. I'd rather die having fun than live in a cotton-lined box safe from any danger...or intensity.

I wouldn't take the door beams out of a car for a client. But for me, it's just lotsa pounds of useless weight. Long as the removal work is clean and not cutting-torch-slag or jagged/sharp edges from the cutoff wheel, I'm happy.

I probably WILL put a diagonally-braced roll bar behind the seats though. To save me from my own possible stupidity, you know? The Spyder really needs one too.

I've looked at coil-overs to let me get wider, taller rims under the Toyota for bigger brakes, but haven't done the research to find if there's any junkyard bolt-on brakes (or close) that will work.

There's usually something that comes close. For instance, a Porsche 914 trick uses BMW 320 vented rotors and calipers in front. World of difference...and the stock 914 brakes work pretty well in a 1600 pound car.

I don't disagree with you, John. I guess when I talk about the "have to" upgrades that get pushed, it's usually that one "has to" put Mustang 2 suspension/frame swap, or install a modern engine/transmission/rearend just to even make a car or truck usable on todays roads. Like I said, I don't have problems with upgrades or alterations if that's what the owner wants. I do agree that radial tires are probably one the best upgrades that can be done on an old car, and a brake upgrade will not hurt anything. I will admit, I've never had any problems with the stock single circuit 4 wheel drums in my truck as far as stopping power, but mine does have 3/4 ton hydraulics with 1/2 ton friction and drums (the 3200 came factory that way). That said, have I considered putting power disk brakes on it? Yes. I looked into it when I built the truck originally, but really wasn't impressed with what was available at the time. Most of it was based on GM Metric brakes, which are good brakes. I felt they were a little light for a truck that would still gat used for hauling. Plus, at the time, they only came in 5 lug, and I really did not want to change out the rearend to get 5 lug on the back. So I simply rebuilt it to tock specs. Only mistake I made there was DOT 5 silicone fluid. Never again with that stuff. If I were to do a disk brake upgrade, I will build my own using parts for a late model GMT800/900 1/ ton brake parts. I have a pattern for the front to allow for the calipers to mount to the I beam, and the rear I'm certain I can adapt without issue. The booster for the master cylinder is the only issue, as there isn't much room around the shifter linkage. But that's not really a priority for me now, as the stock system is serving me just fine.

I do agree with you 100% on the LED lighting. I've actually converted the '55 to LED lighting for the brake and turn signals front and rear. The rear is a Technostalgia kit that uses the stock housings. It has a panel of LEDs the go behind the lens, rather than just a bulb. The front have a 24 led amber illunination bulb in the stock housings. I like those because the are clear when they are off, so they don't show through the clear lens unless the lights are on. I also have a Hollywood Accessories model 554 Saf-T-Lite mounted to the bed 002_zpsfc56fcd6.jpg

Inside it, instead of the original bulb, I lined with LED strips 142_zps72e0fa69.jpg I'm also running clear LEDs in my backup lights.

Once they can come up with a retro fit LED headlamp that fits existing housings, I am planning to change them as well.

...I also had an MG Midget for a VERY short time. I was tired of doing undercarriage inspections of every vehicle on the road and always wondered if I was ever going to see the remains of another MG Midget under one. It was like driving a go-cart. ...

As owner of the above mentioned hopped up Frogeye I know of which you speak. Only dire necessity will get me on a freeway!

But seriously, how sweet IS driving that Beck?

The cat would like to know the answer to that, too.

4df56420-6509-4bea-a3c4-0f136832314d_zps

Engine's out, because whoever built it put a high-lift cam in the thing, with stiff valve springs. Took the teeth right off the stock aluminum timing gear. Have to split the case to do timing gears, went for straight-cut steel (makes a nice whine too), and one thing led to another...as it usually does. Deep sump, trick pickup and windage tray, re-balanced the bottom end, big two-stage oil pump, front-mounted Harrison cooler behind the grille on the nose (which is fake on the Beck, so I had to make a new repro alloy cooler-grille too), and that led to opening up the fake brake cooling duct grilles. NOS Marchal H4 headlights, which prompted a swap for a late-model alternator 'cause I have some NOS Cibie driving lights too...on and on and on.

Adjustable torsion-bar ride-height mod on the front end...and a removable Dzus-fastened panel in the trunk under the tank to get to it (I'm planning to autocross it, so adjustable suspension...)...and more and more and more. I've stopped adding to the list, and have about completed undoing all of the chimp-work that is typical on kit-cars built by amateurs (as this one was way before me).

So...to answer your question, for the year or so that it was a sunny-day-daily-driver, it was great fun. Annoying at times because of things that had been done wrong previously, but she just got better and better as I fixed them one at a time. 7000RPM redline with a counterweighted crank in a Bug engine, and 4-into one headers, with no guts in a glasspack. Man, I love that sound. Stops WAY better than you'd think for old Bug drums, but it only weighs 1400 or so pounds. No heat, no top, wipers are a joke, and if you get caught in the rain you A... go faster so it blows over your head B... stop under a bridge or C... get very wet. Out-corners lotsa much newer stuff, even on little 165/15 radials. Slides happily too, and the handling is basically neutral and predictable...to a point. It has a swing-axle rear end, and I hadn't tied it down to limit camber yet. Top end seemed to be around 120, but I don't trust the speedo installation. Passing everything on I-75 quite briskly though. Two 2 barrel DeLorto downdrafts, ported heads, big (for a Bug motor) valves. Instant throttle response and pretty respectable acceleration. Road testers have compared a real 550 with a Beck built similarly to mine (smallish engine, cast-iron Bug brakes, Bug 4-speed) and it turns in very close to the same numbers as the real one.

Little car really reminds you you're alive. :)

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Ive been pulled several times in my street strip car and have never had an officer question the removal of the door beams, bumper supports, inner dash, factory column, etc. etc. never had one take issue with the lack of factory seat belts either. You cant see most of the weight reductions but its obviously very modified, most cops are cool with it and are curious. It isnt smart to have a cage on the street but it's a necessary evil for the track, a cage is far more concerning to me than the removal of door and bumper supports.

OK, here's something a contemporary hot-rodder could put together himself from an old '90s 240SX shell and junkyard goodies, plus some effort to develop the skills to make the body panels, flares and pull the whole concept together. This thing just screams "HOT ROD" to me. I'd sure as hell drive it.

465218.jpg

Definitely in the original hot-rod spirit of tossing the bits you don't need (like bumpers) and getting more of the bits that DO something...at the same time ditching the old-beater appearance and making the looks reflect the performance.

465221.jpg

Yes, I KNOW tuners already build 240s, and I KNOW this is a body kit, but the point IS...somebody COULD build something like this without buying the kit. It COULD be built cheap (as cheaply as a fast 50's hot rod was back in the '50s, adjusted for inflation). And a lot of it could be built from junk. It has camber that looks like it actually works correctly to make the car corner better, and isn't an ignorant fashion-statement. It looks fast. I like it. A lot.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I like to see more modern cars lowered with larger wheels/tires like the Rocket Bunny kit above. I agree Bill I don't like to see the wheels laid over at insane camber angles. But bigger wheels/tires on 30s-70s car just don't look right to me. Slightly bigger okay, say 15" wheels on a Falcon. But this is too far for my taste.

4.jpg

Edited by afx

I like to see more modern cars lowered with larger wheels/tires like the Rocket Bunny kit above. I agree Bill I don't like to see the wheels laid over at insane camber angles. But bigger wheels/tires on 30s-70s car just don't look right to me. Slightly bigger okay, say 15" wheels on a Falcon. But this is too far for my taste.

4.jpg

But it's just right for the owner's taste. ;)