Model Cars Magazine Forum

1959 John Beauchamp Thunderbird

MarkJ

• 5 years later...
42 minutes ago, JDB said:

Do you ever sell your work? This is my grandfathers car - if so, jdbeauchamp5@yahoo.com

Thanks for the inquiry, Joey.  I sold a model to Tom Pistone's daughter and always regretted it. These are like good memory's in my life and to sell them for money just doesn't feel right.  And to give them away doesn't feel right either, I did a lot of research on this build and found out how your grandfather was not treated well by Nascar, which I'm sure you are aware of. This car actually was the first winner of the Daytona 500. I've seen othe builds of this car and if you do a lot of research you can probably find a guy who is willing to sell his model. Take care and I wish you luck in your search. There might even be a diecast out there of it.

Thanks. Pierre. the deck lid tie down is the first photo below cut the right length and then the 32 guage wire is tied to the ends of the material and fashioned into a hook. You then hook it to a convenient place in the license area and loop it over a .020 rod that is glued right above the thunderbird emblem, The material is elastic so it works just lie a real Bunji cord would work. Both items are available at hob lob.

59jb1.jpg

59jb2.jpg

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/23/2022 at 7:10 AM, MarkJ said:

Thanks for the inquiry, Joey.  I sold a model to Tom Pistone's daughter and always regretted it. These are like good memory's in my life and to sell them for money just doesn't feel right.  And to give them away doesn't feel right either, I did a lot of research on this build and found out how your grandfather was not treated well by Nascar, which I'm sure you are aware of. This car actually was the first winner of the Daytona 500. I've seen othe builds of this car and if you do a lot of research you can probably find a guy who is willing to sell his model. Take care and I wish you luck in your search. There might even be a diecast out there of it.

Can you tell me how you modified the 58 to the 59? I know grill is different and side molding but anything else and how did you accomplish this? Why did you go with a red interior? Thank you

2 hours ago, JDB said:

Can you tell me how you modified the 58 to the 59? I know grill is different and side molding but anything else and how did you accomplish this? Why did you go with a red interior? Thank you

Joey, I had a wip showing how I did the grille and side moldings, but I don't know what happened to it, and I can't remember now, because it was so long ago. I had no color pictures of the car, so I just guessed it was a red interior. I think the wip was over at Randy Ayers and they had to shut down and they lost all their old forums, and they told me they could not get them back. Needless to say, I won't be doing anymore wips over there.