Model Cars Magazine Forum

Charles Carpenter 1955 Pro-sportsman

irender

This is my favorite build. I knew Charles and built this kit back in the late 80's. I had access to his shop basically anytime I wanted, and took 100's of pictures to use while building. This is the most detailed model I have ever built. Took 8 months from start to finish. The scratchbuilding was challenging to say the least, but the most fun I've had in building a model car. A few pics......and thanks for looking.

IMG_1555good.jpg

with-clip.jpg

rear.jpg

interior-back.jpg

interior.jpg

engine-1.jpg

engine-4.jpg

engine-3.jpg

engine-2-1.jpg

bottom.jpg

Edited by irender
  • Like 1

Perfection! Great great work! im in awe..thats no BS feeding line either..i love that engine, and the nitrous setup..front to back. Ive seen some detailed builds..but this one..and being a carpenter fan myself..takes the cake. well done :)

Thanks!

This was a "passion project" for me. When Charles told me the kit was coming out I couldn't wait to get started. I used pics taken in his shop to get the wiring and plumbing right. I even mixed custom Metalizer colors to match the engine colors. I would walk in the front door and ask Charles if I could take a few pics and he would remove body parts from the car to let me get pics for detailing the model. Truly one of the nicest, genuine persons I ever met. This model is my favorite, and, the last kit I built.....scratch..scratch..got the itch again.

Does insanity run in your family? Seriously, this is probably the most incredible detail job I've ever seen.Are the AN fittings scratch built or after market pieces? Well done!!

:):D;) Some of the AN fittings were aftermarket (the ones that look good ;) ) and some were scratchbuilt. I decided that this was the kit I was really going to let loose on. If Charles Carpenter wasn't the man he is, I would never been able to do what I did. 8 months of I can't wait till I see this finished.

On a tip from Kenny-http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9834.I built a light box to take the pics in this post.

I had a box and tissue paper, spent $1.06 for a sheet of white posterboard. Worked like a charm.

I did a lot of searching on different groups/forums, and this is the place to be. Some classy stuff here.

Matt first let me say welcome to the forum and what an incredible build.You left no stone unturned on it.I have the Soft Seal '57 Chevy kit that I keep opening the box and put it back in the box 'cause I feel a little intimidated by it.But one day I'll get started on it.Once again great job on the detail and the photo shoots.

Thanks guys!! When building the car I tried to make sure everything was detailed properly and "looked right". I had the car almost finished-engine in and plumbed, wheels and tires on, brake lines on, when I realized I had the front directional wheels on the wrong side B) What's worse is that I used epoxy to set them in place. I had to literally tear them off and rebuild part of the front end to fix it. Not a good day.

Irender, do you live in the Charlotte area? If so, you are more than welcome to visit my resin casting shop any time you want. I live on Hipp Rd.

As far as Charles Carpenter goes, I have the same attitude towards the man as you. When I started casting resin I visited his shop on several occassions and took about as many photos of his '55 Chevy (the one he just sold). I don't know if any of the other members of this forum have met Charles but he is the most cordial person you will ever meet. He will go out of his way to show you what is what on one of these complicated Pro/Mods. I can't wait to visit his shop and see the new '55.

As for you build of his Pro/Sportsman car. That is by far one of the best I've ever seen. Would love to include those photos on our website "Outlaw Gallery". Drop me a line at resinslinger@msn.com if you are interested. WOW does not do this build justice. You are a true craftsman.

Chris.

Hi Guys

Great work Matt, I have meet Charles as well I was on holidays in America and was staying with a friend that works for Lonestar Racing in Tyler Texas, one night he said jump in the car I want to show you something, he took me to Harwood fiberglass and there in the car park is Charles Carpenter rebuilding a lenco in the back of his trailer, he was busy so I just stood and watched, my friend knew him and started chatting to him and called me into the trailer Charles took about half an hour out from what he was doing to talk to me and show me his car, through him I meet Wally Bell, Robbie Vandergriff (soft seal 57) Jeff Littleton, Kenny Bernstein and just about every pro mod driver at the superchevy Sunday the following weekend, truly a Gentlemen

Regards Mal

• 4 weeks later...