Model Cars Magazine Forum

What's the difference between these Tamiya white lacquer paints?

TS7 is much more representative of the "warmer", somewhat "creamy" looking white used by nearly all automakers prior to the late 1960's out to today. Back years ago, the lacquers used in the automotive industry lacked the color stability we've come to expect today--in addition, they had a tendency to "chalk out" due to ultraviolet rays from the sun--so virtually every automotive color years ago was somewhat muted in order to give some semblance of color stability.

Art

I'm not necessarily looking for an answer to this question (unless you actually happen to know it) but I wonder why Tamiya chose the creamier white to be "Racing White".

Perhaps (more than likely) that creamier white was pretty much what white automotive paints were as late as the very early 1960's, not only on race cars, but such as Volkswagen Beetles, Mercedes-Benz, Jaguar, etc. In addition, it's a color with a racing heritage--given that prior to 1935 or so, white was the color assigned to German race cars.

Art

I'm not necessarily looking for an answer to this question (unless you actually happen to know it) but I wonder why Tamiya chose the creamier white to be "Racing White".

Tamiyas' Racing White is the colour they recommend for their Honda F1 cars. Maybe that's where the 'Racing' comes in to it.

Racing white is pretty much a universal color. Scale Finishes, Tamiya, Zero and a bunch of other manufacturer's make a "Racing White". They are all closer to a bone white than an actual pure or bright white.

This is Racing White from Zero Paints in the UK

w1u8Wyw.jpg

Edited by Quick GMC