Model Cars Magazine Forum

UPDATED 6/12 - 1968 Hemi Dart - Body Mounted, Almost Done

Quick GMC

Getting there. Just cell phone pics for now. i will take better pics when it's done. 

Got the engine, exhaust, subframe and rear suspension glued in. Front wheels are on, but because I did a custom set up on the rear, the rear wheels will probably be the last to go on

Thank you guys. I am happy with the way it is coming out. 

I am going to start the body next, and finish up the little details in the interior and chassis. I am going to order the R&M of Maryland grille for this, he makes one to accept the PE grille. I want to see how it is, I don't like the kit part with the shaved off detail and I don't want to cut it all out. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Not to bust your bubble ......But on an actual 1968 Hemi Dart...The battery is in the trunk

Otherwise it looks fantastic

I knew that. Then I forgot. Maybe I can still make that happen. I'll see what I can do, worst case scenario it will be incorrect, but it will add some eye candy under the hood. Thanks for pointing that out. 

So this update is kind of frustrating, but I'm on the other side of it now. I painted the body parts with Scale Finishes Harley Davidson Sinister Blue, which is a metallic. The metallic flakes are nice and small. I had some dust and stuff in the paint, which isn't unusual and it sanded down with 4000 grit very quickly. When I loaded up the airbrush with my lacquer clear, I did a couple test spoons to get it dialed in, no issues really. i started shooting the body and there were cobwebs everywhere, just about ruined the paint job. i let it dry for a few minutes, then buffed the cobwebs off with a microfiber towel. 

I kept messing around and I laid down a heavy wet coat, which looked like it would settle down, but it didn't. It dried with a ton of texture. I sprayed the body, hood and scoop at the same time, so you can see how far I got with the hood and scoop. The body on the other hand, I will sand down with the 3200 Micromesh, then respray a couple fresh coats of clear. 

I bought a new can of the exact same stuff and that ended up working much better. The can I had I guess wasn't sealed enough so it had started thickening and needed to be thinned. I am still learning a lot about painting. 

Here is the body and you can see what a nightmare it turned out to be, but it actually sands down fairly easily. It will just take some time to get all the nooks and crannies. I would strip and respray, but this color was so thin it took more than half the bottle to get an even, solid color. I don't think I have enough left to do the body again. If this was enamel paint with this finish like I used to paint with...forget it. 

Sanded the hood and scoop with Micromesh from 3600-12000, then polished with Tamiya Fine and Finish. Then Tamiya wax just for the hell of it. I still have to add the finish under the hood, under the hood scoop, the hoot pins and the 2 stainless steel supports for the front of the scoop. 

Here is what the paint looks like up close

Before wax

After wax

So now I just have to find the time to deal with the body, which might be in another week. Work has been keeping me busy lately. Anyway, I am happy with the results, so now I can relax knowing what i will end up with. 

• 5 months later...

Finally had some time to get a little bit done on this one. Had some paint issues, but got them all worked out. Had to sand a few areas and touch them up, then spray a couple more coats of clear to blend in. Worked out pretty good, but it was tricky.

These pictures are pretty bad, from my cell phone, but I was excited that I got something done so I had to post. 

Clear was 2 part clear from Gravity Colors. 1st time using 2 part, so it didn't go super smoothly, but I like it. I will be using it again. Sanded and polished with Tamiya compounds Used BMF, which I am getting better at, but still need a bit of practice. I am realizing that you get much better results by using a single piece, rather than doing it in sections. I am not going to remove the other pieces I did in sections. 

I taped off next to the windows with Tamiya's new striping tape, this stuff is realy, REALLY good. It stays down well when taped on a radius. I taped them off so I could sand the trim smooth, this was the foil would lay down smoother. 

anyway, this is it for now. 

I couldn't help but put the body on to check out the stance