Model Cars Magazine Forum

what's the point?

ferrari87

A little rant here but what is the point of me sharing my work when no one says a thing? If the car subject isnt a camaro, corvette, mustang, or some far off 50's car it gets 0 interest, or at least feedback. Hell, if what I'm doing looks like garbage, someone say so. I'm pretty sure I put my big boy pants on this morning. I do not understand why I put time into (and away from) my work when there is no interest. I thought this community enjoyed cars but clearly, if its from Japan, it doesnt fit in.

Anyway, I'll be a little more scarce around here as frankly, it isnt worth my time posting my work when it gets snowplowed out of the way by the Mustang/Corvette/Camaro crowd.

ok, welcome to the model cars magazine website forum!

so has it occurred to you yet to look at the number of views and not judge by the number of comments?

by the way, your stuff looks like garbage. actually I haven't seen it so there you go

have fun while you're here and try not to have a coronary over it.

jb

I'm pretty sure I put my big boy pants on this morning.

No, you didn't

Actually, your post history says otherwise. You posted a progress update today in your latest build thread, then 5 HOURS LATER, you bumped the thread. You're actually being kind of whiny.

Edited by Quick GMC

I looked at your history. You have not started many threads on your builds. I did see at least two of your OPs with 3 or more pages of discussion. I think you may have a point; muscle cars and American cars may have a bigger following. That's nothing to get upset about. I like pre-war coachbuilt classics and land speed racers. Not a whole lot of that around here. It's OK, though. Different strokes for different folks. You have to accept it for what it is. If you want to post on a board that's about Euro and Asian sports cars, there may be sites like that. There's also no reason you can't start your own site. If you were to do that, you might find that running the site is more trouble than you want. This site can't be all things to all people, but it does have a lot to offer to many people.

Also-

DEATH to your vague thread title.

maxresdefault.jpg

Most people here will give you honest comments on your work. Many people, however, will look at threads on cars that interest them. You have to understand, and accept, that not everyone is into foreign cars and will sometimes not open those threads. We all have our own "niche" or type of cars that interest or appeal to us. You shouldn't get bent out of shape due to the lack of comments on certain of your threads.

A few things.... this board is one of those 'you reap what you sow' things. Sometimes it's not about what you are building, but how you participate in the community. If you chip in and offer advise, send someone a spare part they need, or just get involved in general conversations, then people will consider you a friend. Then they will comment on your build threads, whether they are into the subject or not.

I build rusty, dirty light commercial vehicles. My stuff is pretty much off the beaten path of this board, and there are times I get a ton of views, but a handful of comments. I kinda laugh to myself, picturing the dweeb who clicks on my post, "Not a Hemi!" then clicks away. I get comments on my work, I'd say much of it from folks who build other stuff, but look at my stuff because we are friends. I will look at most anything, and offer advise and encouragement.

If you get involved, soon enough you will figure out who builds what you build. PM them! You might just wind up in a circle of folks just like you. Off the top of my head Jonathan and James Duff are into the Japanese scene, and there are a bunch more.

I just looked back at your threads and I like your diorama. Great work on the bricks. I would've commented back when it was current, but I didn't see it then. Sometimes I'm amazed at what gets by me!

Edited by Tom Geiger

Hmmm. Big boy pants. I looked at three of your build threads. One problem may be your photography. It's very poor quality. Blurry images and poor lighting. You also take closeup pics without a macro setting. Many people just don't want to say things like that, so they say nothing at all. Get a good digital camera. Don't say you can't afford it. For the price of a Tamiya kit with aftermarket parts, you darn sure can.

Also- I can't say this enough...you are blowing things WAY out of proportion. You only have 3 or 4 build threads of your own.

Edit-

I can also back up what Tom Geiger said. I have never opened a thread about a rusted, weathered car. I'm baffled as to why anyone would do such a thing when showcar gloss is possibly easier to achieve. But hey- if that's what floats Tom's boat, then more power to him. I don't have to open his threads to know that he's a big part of the MCM community. Tom may not like Duesenbergs or streamliners, and that's OK. LIke I say about many things, about life in general; we're all on this ride together. It takes all kinds.

Edited by LDO

You posted a progress update today in your latest build thread, then 5 HOURS LATER, you bumped the thread. You're actually being kind of whiny.

I have to agree with Cameron on this point. The bump was totally unnecessary, and probably turned a few people off to reading your future updates.

Let your work stand on its own merits, stay humble, and you will see replies. Good work will never go unnoticed here. ;)

Oh get over yourselves and quit attacking me. I'm not talking about my ONE S15 post I just put up this afternoon GMC. I'm talking overall. Hell, even that build, I have what two comments from someone else? I used to be on a forum for tanks and the support was fantastic. If I did something wrong, I got respectful and useful corrective information. Everyone did. And if I hurt YOUR feelings because I stated the obvious, perhaps you need to put your big boy pants on. I don't have an issue recieving constructive criticism but I don't care for NO feedback. I am not here for atta boys because frankly, i know my cars aren't that fantastic yet. What annoys me is that a. Posts get BURIED by the Mustang/Corvette/Camaro crowd. And to which, this forum woyld GREATLY benefit from the help of subforums. For instance, we used to have american tanks, russian tanks, german, etc... B. I have to get attacked because I ask a general question. Sure, i could have been a little more constructive about it but what the eff is wrong with just ranting? Jeez. I support MANY builds and love ALL the cars on here, no matter how many Baldwin Camaro's, Corvettes, or Shelby and Fox body musstangs I see, because the work you all do is amazing. So, i apologize for my rant but no matter your niche of cars, its easy to tell if it isnt American around here, it gets snowplowed under a wave of the aforementioned cars.

And sure, some photos come out less than amazing but the camera on my phone is better than any digital camera.

My bad if I come off whiny. Im not trying to come off whiny but it is frustrating when i spend time getting decent pictures and "hope" to hear some feedback. Meanwhile, the muscle car crowd goes on ooing and awing and knocking everything else out of the way. So yea i have to bump my BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH thread just to keep it alive.

And sure, some photos come out less than amazing but the camera on my phone is better than any digital camera.

My bad if I come off whiny. Im not trying to come off whiny but it is frustrating when i spend time getting decent pictures and "hope" to hear some feedback. Meanwhile, the muscle car crowd goes on ooing and awing and knocking everything else out of the way. So yea i have to bump my BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH thread just to keep it alive.

A ) Your camera phone is not better than any digital camera.

B ) No one owes you a pat on the back.

C ) Grow up

Edited by LDO

I comment on threads that interest me. If I were going to comment on every thread, I'd do nothing but sit in front of the computer all day. I build what I like & I post it. If it gets comments, great! If not, so be it. I don't expect to get comments from anybody, especially not people who don't appreciate the types of things that I do. If you like Japanese cars, build them. But don't expect that everyone else is going to be as enthusiastic about them as you are. It just so happens that most of the people on this forum like American muscle cars, antiques & classics & hot rods. I'm not a huge fan of some of those myself, so I don't always pay much attention to them. I don't believe I ever saw anything in the rules of the site that said we all must comment on everything that anybody posts. Steve

I feel for you on the "Swept under the rug" concept. The problem with the forum is that it's already rooted among st a certain niche and it will not change,I've found that groups on Facebook with builders from Japan and Asia tend to provide better feedback and have a plethora of tips. ;)

I like the variety of cars shared here....I'm not really a fan of stock "muscle" cars,but the thread titles usually "warn" you what's been posted and we can all choose what we wanna look at.

Modern cameras combined with the lighting on the computer screen makes for great pictures (usually). Posts with poor pictures really stand out now, I don't bother with them.

Your most recent project seemed to interest a few people.....why'd you quit building tanks?

I would agree that American cars get more love on here and I don't really do them either. But I have not felt unwelcome at all on here. I've posted cars, ships, helicopters,bikes, and military. Sure a Shelby will get more comments, but who cares I build for me not them. I just hope to learn from others when they see a mistake. Hopefully I can help someone too. Also if someone is blunt about a mistake (Harry) then I helps push me to do better. I have been part of a few forums and like this the most. If you don't sorry about your luck, f what you're going threw.

Edited by ferrarijoe

I'm sorry to hear you haven't had much response on your posts. I've posted a few here so far and didn't get a whole lot of response, but I still consider myself a newbie to the forum. Overall, though, people have been extremely friendly and helpful on here, and I've had great success with trades and part requests. I hope things improve for you.