Model Cars Magazine Forum

what's the point?

ferrari87

Build what you enjoy because you enjoy it. Post them to inspire people, because you want to share them.

I don't get the whole proposed hatred towards Asian and foreign cars. I build mainly foreign and domestic cars and also American cars, because they're what I have a passion for. I often get a fair few responses to the foreign ones.

I post my builds here almost all the time and sometimes you get lots of responses, sometimes you don't. But nobody likes that kid in high school that always begs for attention - if you get ignored, you get ignored. Such is life. You just accept it and work on at the next build because it's what you enjoy doing. If you think it's not worth the work to post if you aren't going to get many responses, well, then don't do it. It's entirely up to you. It's a voluntary thing and we aren't paid to give responses, it's a privilege to be helped out by people, not a right.

If you build something excellent, people won't mind where the car is based from. Everyone here, regardless of if something is to their taste, appreciate a fine build and the effort it takes. On a predominantly American forum, yes, people are going to steer towards American cars. But if you build something cool and build it well, people will take notice.

That's just my view on the whole thing anyway.

Other people are just the opposite. They post a question or whatever and many of us gladly answer their questions, we post pictures, links, etc for them and then the original poster just disappears without even a Thank You note.

ha ha. a couple of years ago some kid joined and begged for free stuff so he could start a hobby (no money, hobby shops, parents - the whole package.)

so BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH fool me sent him 2 or 3 unstarted kits (one was a bedford tipper!) and a half dozen new cans of tamiya spray in a variety of colors.

never heard back from the little urchin.

and i still haven't learned my lesson, but it's starting to sink in ..... maybe in a few more years i'll catch on!

ha ha. a couple of years ago some kid joined and begged for free stuff so he could start a hobby (no money, hobby shops, parents - the whole package.)

so BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH fool me sent him 2 or 3 unstarted kits (one was a bedford tipper!) and a half dozen new cans of tamiya spray in a variety of colors.

and i still haven't learned my lesson, but it's starting to sink in ..... maybe in a few more years i'll catch on!

It's amazing how far a simple, Thank You, will get you. It's amazing how people can't or won't do that. Times have changed, sometimes respect and trust are earned not given. But you gotta try sometimes. Edited by Petetrucker07

If you think the stuff that you build isn't popular here, take a look at some of the models I've built and posted...

benz4_zps4a744a97.jpg

finished3_zps8f0e0e6a.jpg

steamer6_zps3a176f0f.jpg

If you feel like a fish out of water here, imagine how I feel! :lol:

I wish I had the skill to build such beautiful pieces. These are very nice. Not my cup of tea really, but I can appreciate the work that went into them. Actually I'm gonna try my hand at this with a 31 Bugatti Royale.

Agreed, Casey. "Paying it forward" can have it's own surprising rewards.

Yes it does. I'll help anyone whenever I can. Things have changed but you never know, taking a chance and trusting someone will work out. I've learned that on this forum. I do my best to be a trust worthy member. I really appreciate the help when I need it.

And the next day he had them on Ebay. :angry:

With the large amount of American muscle builders and fans, it is very difficult for those of us who do not build popular cars to keep our builds from getting buried in the forums.

The answer here is obvious. If this forum is not to your liking, then you should find another that caters to your interests.

The average age age for this forum, is probably somewhere in the mid 40's. So you should understand why an RX-7 post doesn't get much attention.

This isn't the Fast and the Furious crowd. This is the Two Lane Blacktop, Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry, Cannonball Run, Lemans crowd.

So man up, and get over it.

What's the point? If it's for view count and comment's I agree, why bother. But if you want to share ideas, inspire, teach and learn you have to participate. Build it and they will come-Field of Dreams

The answer here is obvious. If this forum is not to your liking, then you should find another that caters to your interests.

The average age age for this forum, is probably somewhere in the mid 40's. So you should understand why an RX-7 post doesn't get much attention.

This isn't the Fast and the Furious crowd. This is the Two Lane Blacktop, Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry, Cannonball Run, Lemans crowd.

So man up, and get over it.

Both very good points. If you are wanting to look at specific content the use the follow button. You will see what you want to see.

Adding more subforums will not help. Second go through and look for threads on cars you like and comment on them. You will connect with those of like interests.

Sometimes it takes a little more effort to get what you want.

Boy, so many folks piling on the guy. The mob mentality is alive and well, isn't it?

Maybe he didn't phrase this question exactly to all of y'all's liking, but what he DID ask for was constructive criticism of his work.

I went to his build thread and gave him exactly what he asked for, which was critical and constructive.

He accepted it graciously and appreciated what I commented on.

Man up and get over it? Good advice. Maybe some of you should take it.

It sure seems like he got booty hurt because people weren't commenting. I build show trucks, I know not everyone on here likes that style, I accept that. Just like crusty and rusty isn't my cup of tea. Chances are I wouldn't comment. Does that mean I don't like it, not at all. I can appreciate the work and craftsmanship that went into it.

When it comes to building imports, I have zero experience. Which means that I cannot give help or answer questions in most cases. Since I'm not a fan of imports, I more than likely won't look on a WIP thread. I may take a look at a finished build and appreciate the skill that went into it.

Now, like what was said before, even stated by the OP, the popular car builds on here are American muscle cars. Which means the import builders are in the minority. Do the muscle cars guys bash the imports, in fun, not in any serious way. I'm sure most of us on here use the old saying, if you can't say something nice, say nothing at all.

The OP needs to also realize that the cars bench section is very busy. Car builders are a majority on this forum, hence the name. So there is many many many WIP threads with builders who are retired or have the day off work or whatever and spend a lot of time at the bench. That means the cars bench section is constantly shuffling. It's nothing personal, that's just how it is.

Edited by Petetrucker07

No wonder new users feel so welcome here, when you all greet them in such a great way.

Or not....

Good point.

We've had threads started in the "general" section complaining that new members often feel left out and not particularly welcome, because they didn't get much feedback on their models. Then we have a new guy, the OP, who steps up and says exactly that...that he feels ignored and actually asks for feedback...in front of the whole forum instead of whining about it to other members offline...and he gets slammed.

And, we've had threads going on and on and on about the future of car modeling being in the hands of younger guys who aren't really into '30s-'60s cars, and that more model companies need to address the interests of the Euro and Asian tuner market. So we have a guy who is building an engine-swapped Asian import (more powerful engine in an older body/chassis... the essence of hot-rodding)...and he's told if he doesn't like it here, go somewhere else.

Anybody see the disconnect between what some of us SAY and what we DO?

And yes, I was one who agreed that there's a lot of interest here in muscle cars, and that's just the way it is, so deal with it.

But...I also looked over his build thread and offered advice, like he asked for.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy