Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dodge Charger SRT8 super bee

I recently bought, and started the Lindberg Dodge Charger SRT8 super bee, model kit. I was stoked when it arrived, and looking forward to starting. I opened the box immediately, and started looking at it. I was impressed with the level of detail. But the tires dont look right.

I drive a 2007 dodge charger rt, with the road and track package. Its basically, a charger daytona, without the serial number, as they made limited numbers of daytonas every year. The car has several R2T2 (R/T with the road and track) options, including the 20" wheels, so I know what the 20" wheels look like. The kit wheels dont look right at all. They look more like 18s, with a higher aspect ratio(thicker tires). I searched other threads, and they all look the same. Someone posted that they scaled to 20", (.833) but they are under .800 inches by my measure, using a scale, not calipers. Also when putting the body beside other 1/24 scale cars, it looks huge. I know the car is big in real life, but holy BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH.

I was going to build it stock, with a slight lowering, because I rarely see a stock build that looks right to me. But now, Im going to have to change the wheels and tires. I want to put dodge viper wheels and tires on my real car, and add an air ride suspension, so I can go this route, but with the size of the kit, I dont know if the viper wheels will fill the wheel wells any better.

Has anyone ran into this? Is the kit scaled right? Can I find wheels that will scale to 20", without using the wheels for the charger kits I would call a "donk"?

A real 20" wheel won't measure 20" in diameter at the outside lip-- that 20" is the bead measurement. A real 20" wheel will measure somewhere in the neighborhood of 21.2". If your kit's tire is measuring 0.8", that sounds like it's perfect for an 18" wheel (19.2" scaled diameter). The AMT and older Revell Dodge Nu-Challenger kits in 1/25 scale suffered from the same issue; undersized wheels with tall tires. I guess you can do what I did for the Challenger: make your own new wheels and tires with correct diameters and aspect ratios and then lose interest in the project so all that work is now just sitting in a box... But really, if you can find a die-cast 1/24 scale Charger or Challenger, odds are it will have more accurate wheels and tires than your kit.

I was thinking about that yesterday. The bead is 20", not the face. But when I did a search, someone here said their kit was scaled to a .833, and mine is not. I wonder if they mixed up the kit parts, putting 18" wheels in the kit. The wheels dont even fit the tires right, as there is a gap between the wheels and tires, and the tires are not the right ratio. So, as far as Im concerned, the wheels and tires are useless.

I guess Ill be buying a set of wheels and tires for the kit.