Model Cars Magazine Forum

'83 GMC G20 Vandura (sad message from Model Brain)

It all started with one little story I told Model Brain, here on this forum.

Then he gave me a box full with G20 parts and 3 (!!) bodies!

It came in earlier, a lot earlier.

But I decided it was time to start this project. :)

Jonathan allready did a tremendous job cutting out the windows, their not completly the same, but that will be fixed along the build. :)

I'm happy with this generous gift and will have a blast building it!

My plan is to take a old family hauler that has been put away and save it by making it more powerfull and better cornercarving with newer suspension.

Any suggestion's on donorkits?

This will be a loooong period project because I don't have a lot of money and time. :(

Wheels were leftover from Revell's '69 Corvette and tires are from a C4 diecast wich I tore apart.

11001858_782270101863606_177170518622551

10997183_782270188530264_303770577905655

11044640_782270225196927_893231375262958

And the other part of Jon's gift! :)

10420425_782270278530255_239485937545273

Hope you guys like to follow it and since this is my first build here I will tell you guys, I not a fast builder.

Do you have tips on things I need to pay attention to or donorkits, let me know, I'm still a rookie builder.

Jamie

Edited by FullPowerGarage

Will be good seeing one of these go together. I like your idea of upgrading it. Speed is not required for building here .. and I'm the best example!

Nice you got a body with windows out .. took me some long research, contemplation and time doing it for a build of my daughter's '83 GMC from an A-Team kit. If you're interested, this is the WIP, but I warn you .. it's long and fraught with problems.

I'll be looking foward to following your build ....

I've been thinking to 'modernize' the dashboard, leaving it stock but with the RPM-guage on top of the dash my dad's G20 used to have, it left a nice memory seeing the needle move when putting the hammer down, so I will do that.

Foxer made a perfect example of such a dash! Thanks for the link, I'm reading you trhead right now! :)

My idea of the interior will be, I will judge from "what if this was a 1:1, I would put the bench right there!"

My 1:1 bucket list to do IF this was a 1:1 is take it to USA car meets in Belgium and surroundings, wich is similiar to USA redneck events, that's music beer and party.

So I will put a music system in it, lots of storage and a bench or bed.

Was even thinking of a bar. :o

I am very curious of what you would do too! So let hear it! :)

f101400f0c1fb80fc9a88152b79cf6be.jpg

You know I dig it Jamie!

Corvette parts new or old make great donor part's, rear ends, suspension exhaust etc...Sounds like you have a couple I get lucky at time with thrift store's, hobby store's some have a parts and junk bin, doesn't hurt to ask the clerk.

I like the wheels and tires on it. And yes on the bar... lots of speakers- maybe a disco ball??? , and yes I aggree with Riley some shag!! lol

Cool your getting to the van, I'm happy to share and pass along some of my collection, that means I made more room for MORE models!

Take your time and have fun thats what it's about!

Very cool. I love vans, I'll be watching this build.

Me too Mike....vans can be very cool. I once owned a early to mid 70s Dodge factory custom van love to build a replica of it someday. Our family owned these

early 70s Dodge window and cargo vans

mid 70s Chevy window van and a raised roof camper van

Cool project. I like the idea of making a fully glazed van with interior. In the late 80s and early 90s here in Norway the Starcraft conversions where very popular. Lots of them around but today they have almost always rusted away.

Cool project. And I love the wheels and tires. great choice!Throw in a couple of surfboards and you will be good to go.

Be Well

Gator

You see my vision!! ;)

Cool project. I like the idea of making a fully glazed van with interior. In the late 80s and early 90s here in Norway the Starcraft conversions where very popular. Lots of them around but today they have almost always rusted away.

Belgium's the same.. :(

Me too Mike....vans can be very cool. I once owned a early to mid 70s Dodge factory custom van love to build a replica of it someday. Our family owned these

early 70s Dodge window and cargo vans

mid 70s Chevy window van and a raised roof camper van

Van's are cool! You got to be livin' the van life to understand it !! :)

Very cool. I love vans, I'll be watching this build.

Nice profile pic and thanks!

Ooh and people, I like your input! ;)

• 1 month later...