Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ed Roth "Beatnik Bandit" Custom Show Rod

Terminator-Fox

This is the 1994 issue of the Ed Roth "Beatnik Bandit" Custom Show Rod. I like all different kinds of cars but am usually not too fond of over the top custom cars but I had this kit and got to looking at the contents and it seemed like a nicely detailed car and I decided to try and build it.

I didn't do extensive detailing on the car, pretty much an OOB build. The kit came with some larger rear wheels and M&H slicks so I decided to use those instead of the pizza cutters on all four corners with the hub cabs. I prefer the old school drag look. I knew the decals were going to be a nightmare given the age of the kit and I was right but amazingly I was able to use them without too many issues. My clear coat seemed to do a little wrinkling of the decals on the sides but I can live with it. I used Testors white lightning on the body for that pearl look.

All in all I'm happy with the car and will look good next to my other finished cars. Thanks for looking B)

IMG_20150301_120300_410.jpg

IMG_20150301_120054_732.jpg

IMG_20150301_115952_482.jpg

IMG_20150301_115924_983.jpg

IMG_20150301_115854_743.jpg

IMG_20150301_115726_171.jpg

IMG_20150301_115611_932.jpg

IMG_20150301_115551_983.jpg

Edited by Terminator-Fox

This has always been one of my favorite Roth cars, and yours is one of the cleanest, nicest builds I've seen in quite a while.

Just a tip I learned a long time ago when I was painting real cars and was clear coating over pin stripes before they made the specific striping paint, use a very light coat for the first coat and allow it to dry the touch before adding another coat of clear.

Add a black wash to the belt guard and valvecovers to get some depth. You forgot the little antennas on top of the "mudguards", just above the headlights.

I like the paintjob, I'm not very fond of the wheels as this car never had others than the ones with babymoons...

Being my favourite car of all times, I own the kit, but don't think I'll ever have the balls to actually build it...

Edited by Mr.Zombie

Add a black wash to the belt guard and valvecovers to get some depth. You forgot the little antennas on top of the "mudguards", just above the headlights.

I like the paintjob, I'm not very fond of the wheels as this car never had others than the ones with babymoons...

Being my favourite car of all times, I own the kit, but don't think I'll ever have the balls to actually build it...

Thanks for your input but I choose not to add blackwash to those parts. I didn't forget the antenna's but one fell into carpet hell and wasn't able to find it. Build your model with wheels you choose :rolleyes: