Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pacer racer - weathered - final update 8/20

Jantrix

I don't usually create separate build threads for CBP builds but this one is unique and I wanted to share it and get some feedback.

When we discussed "sleepers" as this years Cannonball theme, I immediately thought - AMC Pacer. Knowing the coupe had been recently released I asked a friend and club member, if he had one in his dragon's hoard of model kits. He said yes we quickly struck a deal. Imagine my surprise when he showed up with a vintage MPC wagon kit.

kit_zpse717a0c0.jpg

So in addition to the Cannonball CBP, the plan is to turn this into a drift car. It will be built completely for the Cannonball, and then with a quick wheel/tire change, some added decals perhaps, be completed as a drift car for contest. I've never competed in the "tuner" category before. Looking forward to it.

After some suspension advice from Bill Engwer (Ace-Garageguy), I got busy. To put the "tuner" in this one, I'll be using the Toyota 2JZ from the AMT F&F Supra kit. I know it's not as good as other kit 2JZ's, but it's what I've got, so I'll make do. The 1:1 weight of the Supra and the Pacer wagon are very close. If the Supra went fast, this should too.

20150101_173337_zpsnc2e8bgp.jpg

Here's the original chassis.

20150116_171334_zpsp3iduqaa.jpg

Some quick work with my trusty #11 and some sheet plastic. New tank, and an AMT 90's Corvette front subframe. I will be using the original parallel leafs, but have added the Ford 9 inch, traction bars, and a panhard bar, which you will see in pics later today. That's all for now, gotta get to work.

20150118_151509_zps8smsxkqd.jpg

Edited by Jantrix

Thanks guys. Here's some more work. According to Ace-Garageguy, with the right set up you could easily drift with a parallel leaf suspension. That's where this is going. Modifying this one for a IRS would have been a real pain in the butt, and It's been challenging making the old parts work.

Corvette subframe added and mounts for the traction bars in the rear.

20150122_143856_zpsqmuww4bs.jpg

Closed up the rear frame.

20150122_143905_zpsc5ryx8nc.jpg

Panhard bar.

20150213_170920_zpslpocoxhv.jpg

Traction bars.

20150213_172032_zpscu717fzc.jpg

Shock mounts.

20150213_183038_zpssmhb4ipo.jpg

Edited by Jantrix

This is a really cool build. I love Pacer wagons!

Should probably be in the "On the Workbench" forum though.

Thanks. And quite right. I noticed it after my initial post and have already sent a PM to Harry asking it be moved.

Here's a quick mock up with the planned wheels/tires for the Cannonball version. It will be painted in Rootbeer Metal Flake which is pretty close to the factory color Golden Ginger Metallic if I spray it over a light grey primer. I'll experiment a bit later on.

20150221_100912_zps0jnzlqnc.jpg

Tranny mount fabricated and engine mounts properly located. Added some material to the wheel bosses to allow the engine to fit nicely.

20150221_172736_zpsrw1nsfgt.jpg

And here is the AMT 2JZ with some home made plumbing. The kit directions actually have these turbos plumbed backward, so some work is needed to make it plausible.

20150301_171841_zpspoorxylo.jpg

Okay that's all my work to date. More soon.

As always, comments, criticisms and hare-brained ideas are welcome. B)

I sure won't argue with you on the turbo issue. However all the aftermarket stuff I found was for the 1/24 japanese kits. They would look huge on this engine. In any case I'm going to make do with what I have. Thanks for your input.

Edited by Jantrix

Oh...this is cool !

I'd LOVE to see the reaction if somebody actually showed up with a well-set-up drift-prepped Pacer. Put a really quiet but nonrestrictive exhaust under it, go out and eat some weenies' lunches.

Only little problem might be the weight of all that fishbowl glass up high wanting to make the car roll too much, but judicious use of Lexan or plex would solve that nicely. B)

The hard part for me is going to be the roll cage. I'm going to do a six point cage (not legal for sanctioned racing, but who says it has to be a legal drift car?). I'll make the hoop as tight to the inside of the body as possible, two angled door bars into the footwell, and the rear points will follow the roof and then angle to follow the c-pillars. I also intend to tint the rear windows to keep it as stealthy as possible.

Then I need to find some drift car style decals.