Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pacer racer - weathered - final update 8/20

Jantrix

I'll be joining in as soon as I get my hands on a kit. I'm not missing this year for the world.

Excellent!

Thanks Richard, more soon. Nothing exciting happening right now. I'm just filling the area between the chassis and interior so you can't see clear to the other side. Then the chassis will get some primer and cleaned up some more.

20150116_171242_zpsnwmblm7a.jpg

I'm going to remove the side trim, door locks. badges and scripts. I will be using the bumpers, at least for the Cannonball version. I'm planning on Testors One Shot Root Beer. However I'm still looking for some drift-style decals. The decals will likely have an impact on color choice.

As for that rear window pillar, I'm kinda torn. Lets face it the Pacer is sort of a ?! :wacko::huh::blink:!? design, that we either like, or hate. That silly pillar is part of that, and I'm not sure I want to change it.

More soon. Thanks for your input guys.

Nice job converting this. Especially on the 2jz engine swap. Anyone else would just stuff a big V8 in there, yell "Yee-Haw!" and call it good.

As far as the window pillar, if you remove that, you'll lose the rear pop-out window function, and it will get hot as hell without the AC on. You'll have a big greenhouse with only door windows that roll down.

Some paint.

20150309_203612_zpsgnzpenz5.jpg

20150309_203100_zpsb3zqsqa6.jpg

The engine is just sitting there, not correctly on the mounts so yes, it's a little cockeyed, but will be straightened during assembly. My next project is to come up with some of those tube connecting rubber sleeves for the turbo set up, and some detail painting. Likely use some heat shrink and aluminum tape. More soon.

Edited by Jantrix

It's the AMT Supra engine.

Quite right. A 2JZ Toyota inline 6. However the AMT designers built it backward (mixed up input & output on the turbos) so some modification was required. The cone airfilter is a CrazyJim resin piece. More soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Some new work. The roll cage has been started. Like the newer Mustangs it's being incorporated into the upholstery. It's pretty tight to the roof and will be hard to spot later on. The back seat is capable of being installed in the folded down position, so the roll bar cross bar will not look so out of place. It will be a six point cage.

20150327_122538_zps5xc97ol8.jpg

Here's the e-brake. Handle was made from a shock absorber. The connecting pneumatic piston from some random suspension part. Mount was scratch built. The reservoir and associated brake lines will be mounted in the arm rest, (stock piece) to keep with the sleeper theme. Now I need to find a NOS tank. :)

20150327_121438_zpsxero2iaz.jpg

Nice work Rob. Very cool work on the e-brake. I don't know if i asked but did the engine fit pretty good. ??

Yes, the original engine was an I6, so there is room for it between the firewall and radiator support. But just barely. There is a pic of the engine in place on the first page of this thread. It has taken a good bit of work though to make everything else fit around it.

• 3 months later...

Okay this one is back on the bench. It's gonna stay until it's done. Got the roll cage finished up. The bars aren't invisible but with the rear windows tinted they'll be darn hard to spot. First primer coat. Wheels and tires for the Cannonball sleeper version of this build. More soon.

20150726_150929_zpsxeclr0ni.jpg

20150726_150948_zpswudnu6ch.jpg

20150726_150954_zpswswkb4c6.jpg

20150726_180109_zpsemxnzfk1.jpg