Model Cars Magazine Forum

After 35 yrs. I am going to try this one again....

IMG_4562600x434_zps012d837a.jpg

The first time I didn't have the patience, or skills to build it properly, and gave up, in favour of less creative endeavours :huh:

Anyway, this is going to be a rather long WIP due to extra detail parts from both Best Balsa Kits and Scale Motorsport. This is one of my favorite F1 car liveries from way back. The team only lasted a couple of years ('77 - '78) but won their first event and two more that year ('77) Canadian GP, Monaco, and Argentina. Owned by Walter Wolf,..an Austrian / Canadian,...Read up on this guy, what a character!!

Started this one properly

IMG_4579600x450_zps7d009f62.jpg

I always start my builds with the engine,...so, here it is so far....

IMG_4629%20600x450_zpsndswnjtk.jpgTransmission duplicolor #cbgm0529 dark spiral grey mett., drybrushed testors flat steel, and then sprayed testors dullcote.....Block sprayed Krylon chrome, washed with tamiya smoke, and then testors dullcoat....Heads sprayed Duplicolor sandable black primer and washed with

gunze sangyo burnt iron. So far ....about 35 parts

And then this

IMG_4628%20600x450_zpsg5mqmzkk.jpg

A couple of extra wires added for rear light and oil pump wiring....

Tamiya kits are well known for accuracy and fitment, this one is no exception, although the flash on this one is a little more than usual. Not a complaint, just saying,...

The '77 WR1 was a quick release, by 1978 it was on the shelf!!

See ya soon with more, after I research some more engine plumbing schematics for the Ford/Cosworth DFV's

Q + C + C's welcome!

Cheers

oh and thanks to Joe (ferrarijoe) for coming thru with one of my holy grail kits :D

Edited by Belugawrx

Great car that you've selected Bruce and you're certainly off to a super start. Thanks for sharing the details on the paint for the engine/trans. It looks VERY realistic.....I'm going to step up to 1/12th at somepoint and it will be interesting to see how much detail you can put into 1 car. Best to you on the build! Tim

I will be following this one. It looks like you are killing it so far. These large scale kits just beg to be detailed. I finished the '78 Lotus just under a year ago. It was a great model. Some of the larger body panels and longer pieces were warped. Something you may need to look out for.

Good luck and keep up the good work!!

Thanks Guys

Ford/Cosworth Yessir :D

Yes these are great kits,...

Bit more done ..wired up, some kit plumbing done in flat steel and washed with Vallejo Dark Grey...

IMG_4633%20600x450_zpsm4k5ekt2.jpg

IMG_4635%20600x450_zpsilzftwlf.jpg

IMG_4634%20600x450_zpsihwssqdh.jpg

Now, looking after a pet peeve of mine and,....

Sanding the 12 pc.exhaust !! <_<

IMG_4636%20600x450_zpsjbh2dzpr.jpg

Thanks for looking in

Cheers

Edited by Belugawrx

Hey Jason

Ya I've been looking forward to this one !...Your Lotus 72D looks awesome Man!

Thanks Gary

Welcome aboard Janne

Bit more done....

First coat of chrome on the headers

IMG_4637%20600x450_zps7aiodsko.jpg

Going for something close to these

IMG_68901%20600x450_zpsxzedjkop.jpg

Got the seat sprayed and covered in embossing powder...

IMG_4638%20600x450_zps3qnphiao.jpg

And made an engine stand,so I can get all 10 of my sausage fingers into the wiring and plumbing of this beast!

IMG_4639%20600x450_zpsagvbaakb.jpgIMG_4640%20600x450_zpsa47k80wd.jpgIMG_4641%20600x450_zpsi8wdlboj.jpg

Thanks for looking

Cheers

Edited by Belugawrx

She is looking good Bruce! I had a heck of a time with the exhausts on my '78 Lotus. Every now and then, when I was dry fitting them, they would just seem to fall into place. But most of the time they did not. This included when I was doing my final fitting and glueing. Ended up breaking one to two and had to pin them.

As always, good luck with your build!

Ya, John getting the pipes aligned was a bit of a chore.

I used Tamiya thinset cement which allows a little movement,. and fiddled with them and the long pipe, until it all fell into place.

Then just hold them there and applied more thinset.

And after all that, I'm now going to replace the long pipe with 1/4" aluminium,...it looks more scale.

Thanks Derek..

Hey Joe, Thanks Man, I've wanted to do this kit again for,... ohh... 35 yrs.!lol

Bit of an update,..

Ended up stripping the exhaust of that horrid Krylon chrome,..thinking on a different approach,.. the solder I have is the right size,...?

and while I'm thinking I broke out the Scale motorsports P/E upgrade kit.

I sanded all the Tamiya rivet detail off the cockpit tub..

IMG_4645%20600x450_zpsbdhtrarr.jpg

The P/E set is beautiful,..detailed , precise, smooth,....ya so I had to change that,..

IMG_4642%20600x450_zpsc1y6xpuq.jpgIMG_4643%20450x600_zpso4yvlepn.jpg

I sanded each piece with 400 g then polished using Autosol metal polish...just to make it look a little more used,...

IMG_4646%20600x450_zpsek5sdxyo.jpgIMG_4649%20600x450_zpsojfr2ek7.jpg

I used Insta-Cure+ Medium..5-15 sec. Still very quick adhesion,..but just enough time to move it,...once

I'll get back to those exhausts,.. when I'm ready,...

Right now tho I really gotta get some sleep that was a long bench sit so ya cheers

​Your doing a great job on this kit Bruce. That home made engine stand is a stroke of genius, the painting and detailing on the cosworth is accurate as well. I'll be watching this WIP closely. Now I regret selling all of my 1/12th kit collection last year. :(

Edited by kitbash1

Thanx Ira

Doug ,...You should let me know when you get rid of stuff like that! :lol:

Little bit more P/E work,...

IMG_4656%20600x450_zpsl1hmmkrs.jpg

Undercarriage got a straight sanding with 220.

IMG_4654%20600x450_zps9tefofcl.jpg

Firewall sanded and polished with some straight sanded pieces to add visual interest,..

Next a dark wash with Vallejo to pick out the rivet heads and seams

Keep ya posted

Cheers

Thanks Jeff, glad your liking it,... Me too! :D

A little update...

Detailing the cockpit

IMG_4661%20600x450_zps8hq0aqeo.jpg

In all of the research photos I have found, there is not one, be it model or actual car that shows a seat pan/pad,....except this one..

IMG_6907.jpg

This being a reconditioned, weekend warrior, although actual WR2 (i think)

So I will be scratching something out of pop can / masking tape....etc.

More to come

Cheers

Edited by Belugawrx