Model Cars Magazine Forum

The 70's GP cars were definitely the most beautiful of all the GP cars. My GP grail kit is the 1979 Ferrari 312T which I want to build as the Jody Scheckter  championship winning car. Being South African, I want to pay tribute to the only South African F1 world champion. You're doing a fantastic job on this kit. Like Cato said, "take your time and do it right".

Bruce, too long between updates on this great build!

Looking back, I saw a tiny missing detail if you care to add it. It's easy.

You have a perfect track finish on the tires. However, the letters were sprayed on by Goodyear and never very neatly. There are vertical breaks in the O's, D,A and R where the stencils are affixed for spraying.

Here are mine, direct from the distributor. Scuffs and all, that's how they leave the factory. They also turn tan color with a few heat cycles:

Here after a bit of clean-up by me:

And finally how I did my Trumpeter track rat GT:

Please continue to update us.

Thanks Cato I will keep that in mind.

Yes it's been quite a break from this one.

I moved, again, and my local hobby shop closed, and I couldn't find Ts-55 spray, or the right size A/N fittings,..

So, I took a break,... and went shopping,...Hey Scott,...We got it BAD:wacko:

Back at it now and will update when something happens.:D

I moved, again, and my local hobby shop closed, and I couldn't find Ts-55 spray, or the right size A/N fittings,..

So, I took a break,... and went shopping,...Hey Scott,...We got it BAD:wacko:IMG_5017%20800x600_zpsajbpdgpz.jpg

I see you got my F1 grail kit, the Ferrari 312T. So jealous right now.

So, I took a break,... and went shopping,...Hey Scott,...We got it BAD:wacko:IMG_5017%20800x600_zpsajbpdgpz.jpg

Yikes! You could have a pretty nice Pocher for that outlay!  :blink:

Bruce, your reference is ironclad. It's obvious the '70's pattern was changed when my vintage rain tires were molded. The color is perfect as I knew it also. Surprised 'your' pattern has no overspray. They look hand painted. Goodyear G-7 slicks were also heavily oversprayed.

Carry on your great build.

Thanks Cato Cheers mate,..:)

I didn't pay over a hundred CDN for any of those,..B)

Any work getting done on that  Beautiful Sedanca of yours ?

I'm trying to battle my way back to the bench but recovery is slow and I've a bit more 'bodywork' to be done on myself before I can do meaningful things on the Roller. But planning never stops...

That was my first Tamiya kit when I was about 18 or 19.  How much were they when they came out, like fifty bucks?  That was a lot for a broke college kid but I loved the WR-1.  That kit changed my modeling life.  I still have it in pieces...my Mom dropped it off a high shelf in about 1980.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for checking in, I am ....s l o w l y ... trying this paint on body shells

Duplicolor black, sandable primer, wet sanded to 2000g,..then Tamiya TS 55,...then Duplicolor, Clear..

IMG_5160%20600x450_zpsb2dlwdqb.jpg

IMG_5161%20600x450_zps4nm7atu0.jpg

Then Turtle Rubbing compound, then MeGuiar's yahda yahda yahda...

Found some perfect rollbar/instrument cluster lead wires in three different gauges,...figuring out how to best paint,...primer,.blah  bend it the paint cracks,...touch it up later blah

More to come,..I am not giving up,...just getting more experience and knowledge...,.and parts,...and paints.^_^

One thing I am going to try, is putting some exhaust spring connectors in there...seems an empty spot, once you see it filled...:huh:

QCC's welcome

Cheers

Edited by Belugawrx
forgot something?

Great to see you in action again. With the Dupli, a bit of 3200 grit on the color (wet) then two medium coats of Dupli clear sanded 4 - 6- 8000 wet then your polishing stuff. You want enough clear so as not to burn through to color. That's what works for me; flattening the base color is key.

• 2 months later...

Hey Cato, thnx for checking in,..I am gaining more experience in air brushing, and masking,..before attacking the body panels,..Practise practise practise

I am trying Alclad, black, scratch filler primer, and decanting the TamTS-55,... then Alclad Clear over it all,...then also maybe thinning the TamX-12 and masking out those gold stripes and #'s  I want to weather it as if finished the race, so exploring unknown territories:) 

Still here, just testing

Cheers

• 3 months later...