Model Cars Magazine Forum

Chevy II El camino style

Brent

Been a long time guys.I have been trying to devote some time to get back into the hobby that I miss dearly.

I had started this build years ago. I wasn't sure I liked the path I was going down so I shelved it. I recently grabbed it and started to tinker with it. Made a few changes and she's done. The more I worked on it the more I liked it. Chassis is pretty much box stock (Used the Pro Street kit), I made some new front spindles to get the ride height I wanted (IMO ride height is EVERYTHING!). Scratch built exhaust, I actually used my lathe to turn some parts (steering column and cone air filter). Its about time I used it for the hobby and not work. The kit was supposed to have the high rise dual carb set up but with the cowl hood I made that wasn't going to work. I found an old Corvette fuel injection intake and she fit under the hood so went with that. Added spark plug wires, alternator power cable, brake line out of the master cylinder and scratch built a battery and battery box and added cables.

Body mods include the obvious converting into a pick up. Lower body skirts were added, front air dame was scratch built. Front and rear bumpers were sectioned to be flush with the body. Rear wing was added to ad some length to the car.

It's kind of a mish mash. It's not a pro street, Could almost be a Pro touring. For sure it would be the coolest parts car in town (put a big NAPA ball cap on the roof). LOL Could fit a lot of groceries in it as well. :P

Hope no one gets mad at me for defacing a Chevy II :D

IMG_9469-vi.jpg

IMG_9475-vi.jpg

IMG_9479-vi.jpg

IMG_9483-vi.jpg

IMG_9485A-vi.jpg

IMG_9488-vi.jpg

IMG_9493-vi.jpg

IMG_9497-vi.jpg

Thank you all! This is great motivation to keep me at the bench and starting another project.

The color is 1833MCA White Lightning Testors One coat Lacquer (rattle can).

I went to go buy a similar paint in Tamiya but my local hobby shop had very poor selection in the Tamiya. SO, I thought I'd try the Testors. Had I read the can "One coat" this would have helped. I grabbed the can shook the heck out of it. Placed it in warm water for a bit as I do with my Tamiya paints (To increase the pressure slightly) and started what I thought was laying down a light mist coat. Was hard to see painting over a white primer. Before I realized what was happening the paint slid bad on me. I was about to abandon the project as I wasn't going to go down the road of CSC bath and start all the body work again. Man that paint came out like a fire hose. "One coat" ..... OK I get it now LOL. I let it dry good and started to sand the runs out of it.Re primed and went at it again, A little wiser this time :)