Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 56 Ford F-100-Now Under Glass-01/02

Tom: Thanks dude! The scoop had to "grow on me" but I'll be using that with no reservations now.

Tim: Thank you as well! It's gonna take me a while because I'm building this and my DB605 engine along side of it so I can have something built aircraft wise.

Carl: I appreciate your comments. Man that's for sure on the late night bench time! lol . I'll be gone with my family for 3 days this weekend so there won't be any progress but I'll get that rest you're talking about . Will resume on Monday. :D

Kevin: Go for it bud! Thanks for the encouragement on the slicks. I was worried about those initially but glued 'em together with Permatex gasket sealer/ adhesive so the seams wouldn't be as noticeable.

Thanks Dan. I might get more luck tonight in that department as well as in the camera department. Dogs were up all night long. If one wasn't puking the other one was using the facilities where she wasn't supposed to. On top of that my camera was dead this morning!!!Smiley%20in%20cloud_zpsx5agjb92.gif Dunno if it was the battery or what but I'll find out late this evening when I get home. I actually made some progress and had everything set up for the photo shoot! emotion-8.gif When it rains it pours I'll tell ya..........emotion-37.gif

On the bright side of things I do have a back up camera that I can use should the worst happen. :)

Edited by mustang1989

Ok folks we're back in the swing of things now. My camera was acting weird this morning and not at all like the low battery that it was. Here's with the engine block pretty much done. I still have some weathering to do to the exhausts and I have the intake and rocker covers just resting on the engine. I also have some touch up to do to the rocker covers and the intake but I've gotta show some progress to show that I'm still active in this WIP. The funny thing is that this pic does not show the weathering that I've done. I didn't go overboard with that but wanted to at least make the truck look like it had been driven.

Still a long ways to go but I'm gonna get there:

RSCN1672_zps8x1nbwa5.jpg

Edited by mustang1989

Looks good Joe. I assume you've test fit the engine with valve covers, etc in place. The 429 is a massive engine. I built Benny Parsons' '71 Mercury Cyclone awhile back and just barely squeezed the 429 between the front shock mounts.

Dan: Thanks bud! :D

Pat: That's a good question. Now you have got my curiosity going.

JC: Thank you sir. I've test fitted this thing numerous times to make sure but it fits. That's the one good thing about these trucks: The engine bays being as big as they are lend themselves to putting pretty much anything short of a turbine engine in there. lol . I've gotta say here that this build has been nothing but planning and research. It's not as intense as say, Blair's 55 Chevy in this section, but it's planning, test fit, planning, research, and more planning nonetheless.

Edited by mustang1989

Thanks Carl! I'm looking forward to that!

I touched up some areas that needed paint and installed the intake manifold today. I've installed many an intake in the real world and use sealer on the "china walls" of the intake so I did the same here.....using automotive sealer on the "china walls". lol

I stripped the chrome plating off of the carburetors and test fitted those on top as well. A small amount of clean up and these will get the paint treatment. I just need to find a pic regarding throttle linkages and return springs now.

This is a little cleaner shot than I showed Wednesday being that I cleaned the paint up a little.

FSCN1682_zpstuyoqate.jpg

Thanks Carl and Dan.

Well I chucked up my 12mm deep socket again, mounted the front tires on it one by one and spun 'em up a piece of sandpaper to give the tread that worn look like I did on my Challenger build.

Here's the Challenger tire mounted up on the drill:

Tires001_zpscb939ded.jpg

After that I shot a coat of dull coat on the sidewalls of the tires and mounted my wheels on 'em:

Here's the tires and wheels for this build after all the sandpaper and dull coating:( the funny thing is that you can't see any of the coverage problems on the wheels with the naked eye. If I were going off of these pics I'd start over on the wheels. Believe me, they look a helluva lot better in person)

RSCN1687_zpsgzpttxoe.jpg

Then I started back on the motor a little. I sanded the distributor cap down a little on the top and started drilling holes to put the ignition wires in to:

DSCN1688_zpsb2erkyno.jpg

Hopefully I get a good bench session tomorrow.

Edited by mustang1989

I think I just found a new partner in the modeling business. This is my first time using Alclad. I may put another coat on this but already this stuff has got my vote just for the fact that it goes on so smoothly.

RSCN1684_zpswdbuvmho.jpg

Isn't Alclad just the BOMB??? Really loving it. Nicely laid on man. Looking great.

Thanks Ira, Dan and Stray.

I've made some progress this morning but nothing worth taking pics of yet. Still a lot of test fit and planning out. I do have the gloss black applied to the rear wheels this morning and will be waiting for that to dry, a few more details painted on the motor and things of that nature. Hopefully , benchtime is gonna be kind to me this week. lol

That's funny you should ask because I was going to post something on that. I got tired of waiting on the weather to clear up so I broke a cardinal "in the house" rule and broke out the enamel paint this morning and shot a coat or two of gloss black on the rear wheels in preparation for an alclad coat later this week. I also painted the alclad in the house on my front wheels over the weekend and then put everything in a sealed case, opened a window and closed off the room. lol . Sometimes you just have to move forward you know.emotion-5.gif

Edited by mustang1989