Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 56 Ford F-100-Now Under Glass-01/02

Man I'll tell you guys, I am NOT happy with the way these have turned out so far. First off , I'm using 32 year old decals. Even after working them all into position and smoothing them out I've still got silvering like crazy.....even air pockets that popped up out of freekin' no where!!!!! I have most of the hood done now to include the hood scoop and from a little ways away it looks just awesome. A little closer up and they look terrible. Before I do anything further I've ordered a flame mask set from Lazy Modeler. I see stripping the decals from the hood in my near future!!! I can take a blemish dang near anywhere but on this hood or anywhere on the front of the vehicle it's a different story. Being the showcase of the entire exterior , a blemish here would be like a "bloody nose" on the whole build. The squirrel on the squeaky conveyor belt is working hard in my head right now......

Oh I'll get 'em off of there but I aint sure just how yet. Usually I love working with decals and have had some tuffies in the past that I was able to get laid down with a little elbow grease and patience. I've worked on these hood decals now for about 5-6 hours so I feel like I've given them a fair shot. I'll get through this ok though. It's just a momentary distraction is all. ;)

Even from a distance the hood decals show the problems I was having but besides that it's what I'm after regarding "the look".

2015-06-12%202015-06-12%20003%20001_zpsd

2015-06-12%202015-06-12%20003%20003_zps7

But when you get a lot closer it's painfully evident that thissSig_DOH.gif_zpsiyz57xcc.png.........aint gonna cut it! pie_in_the_face-2223_zpshvbvnyfb.gif

2015-06-12%202015-06-12%20003%20002_zpst

2015-06-12%202015-06-12%20003%20004_zpsi

So................I stripped the hood of decals. I'm going to have to do some paint work as well but that's no biggie. I'll probably just strip it and start over rather than touch it up. Oh well.......that's modeling folks.

2015-06-13%202015-06-13%20001%20002_zpsw

Thankfully, I did manage to make some forward progress today in the way of brake lines. It's not much but its a start:

2015-06-13%202015-06-13%20001%20001_zpsq

Edited by mustang1989

Nice work on the drive shaft and the brake lines Joe. Sorry I ain't been around on the site much the past couple weeks. Been so busy with honey do lists and getting the all the changes made the new motorhome to satisfy the wifey. I hope to get back on the bench with the Novas soon.

Ok. Some progress this morning. I didn't like how the brake lines looked being black and all so I removed them and shot them with a coat of aluminum and reinstalled them. Upon reinstallation I got a nasty glue boo-boo on the L/H frame rail so I fabricated an aluminized shield to go over the lines. It was either this or remove the lines, sand down the frame and repaint it so I chose a route which I thought would do the trick, look decent and still cover the mishap up. I still have to fabricate some stand off clamps holding the lines to the frame but here we are so far...

2015-06-16%202015-06-16%20001%20001_zpsd

Edited by mustang1989

Thanks Carl buddy. Man I've gotta say I'm really bummed over the decals but I hope to turn it all around with the masks that are coming. I'll be sticking with the same colors for the flames.

Good idea Joe, i know you can pull it off. Brake lines look awesome..

Remember that partially built model I bought in the beginning that has helped me out so far with the build? Best 20 bucks I ever spent.....

Here's the frame assy:

2015-06-17%202015-06-17%20001%20001_zpsx

Zoomed in a little closer are resin blocks with holes drilled in them as makeshift locations for the master cylinder and proportioning/ distribution valve/ block.

2015-06-17%202015-06-17%20001%20003_zpsj

Which is paving the way for me fabricating the brake lines. Here is the L/H front brake line. Later I'll paint this metallic silver and touch up the hose section at the end for the rubber brake hose. I'll be gone for the next two days.......again....... but will be back on Sunday with another update.

2015-06-17%202015-06-17%20001%20004_zpsj

I'll keep that in mind Dan. I'm still at camp just west of San Antonio in Bandera and will be till tomorrow. I stopped by a hobby shop , Dibbles Hobbies, while passing thru SA and picked up some goodies for the truck and another Eduard 190 just for the overtrees. I'll be back in here full swing tomorrow afternoon and will hit the bench Sunday morning folks.

I'm still plugging away on the brake lines fellas. No real progress pictures yet but hope to have the front brake lines finished by this weekend. There aint no way I'm going to hav this thing done by August 1st in time for the HAMS show in Houston. Going too many places this summer and too many things going on at the home front in the way of work to be done to devote as much time as it'll take to have it done by then. :mellow: . At this point the new projected completion date is October 1st in time for the Austin show.

Picked these up this weekend on the way up to San Antonio at Dibbles Hobby shop.

The mufflers:

2015-06-21%202015-06-21%20001%20001_zpsa

or maybe these...

2015-06-21%202015-06-21%20001%20002_zpsk

and then got this in the mail for the front of the truck. It'll take some fancy foot work here but I think I can pull it all off.

2015-06-21%202015-06-21%20001%20003_zpsw

Edited by mustang1989

I have the R/H front brake line to go and I think I'm going to go crazy here! icon_sAng_hissyfit_zpswrtdfsd9.gifI have had to start over 3 times now to form this last line to "route" as the others do from the distribution block.icon_sAng_rant_zps60eb0ce9.gif

The L/H front brake line I only had to form one time but took me every bit of 3 days worth of weekday bench time (about 2-3 hours) to get it all finished. It's looking like this one may take double that amount of time. I'm getting there but this is a really slow part of the build.emotion-8.gif

I know I'll get past this eventually so I'll stop whining and get back to work. :D

Edited by mustang1989

Well Joe, I'm imppressed with what you've got done so far my friend. Be patient buddy, it'll all pay off in the end. I run accross my share of issues on every build, but I work through it and end up happy with the final outcome. You will too, I'm sure.

Jim: Thanks for the words of encouragement buddy! I attempted the brake line for the 3rd time this morning and had mixed results. With each step I keep getting closer and closer to having it work out. If nothing else, Friday I'll have 2-3 hours straight at the bench. On weekday mornings I have anywhere from 45 minutes to 1 hour at the bench and that's not a whole lot of time when you count getting set up and clean up times.

Dave: Thank you sir. I still have 3 of these Street Demons kits left to get. I've always been attracted to these kits. I had an opportunity to purchase a Saints Henry J while at the last IPMS show I was at but I just couldn't bring myself to do it. After all these years (and I mean about 30 years) of wanting one I had the kit in my hands and just couldn't stand all that "junk" hanging out at the front of the car. I ended up putting it back on the shelf.

Ok fellas after 4 days of bending, cursing, re-bending, more cursing and yet more bending and forming(and cursing) I think I've got it. I finally got smart and took a photo of the last "screw up" with it installed and made adjustments based off of the photo. Why I didn't do this sooner is beyond me!!!emotion-8.gif I ended up having to slightly tweek the other front brake line at the distribution block to get it the two lines to look similar but I think I can move forward now. I still have the front part of the R/H front brake line to go and paint the line but this right here is a break through for me.

Here we go:

2015-06-25%202015-06-25%20001%20001_zpsz

Edited by mustang1989