Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 56 Ford F-100-Now Under Glass-01/02

Ok fellas I'm wrapping up my Monogram Challenger build over in the car section and just ordered the Revell Street Demons F-100 yesterday. I built this kit as a kid and had a blast with it even though it turned out mediocre.......well.......bad. Here's the kit I'll be starting a WIP here with and then I have a question.

DSCN1403_zpswowjbjk2.jpg

Right off the bat I have a couple of ideas working on how to get the rear suspension lowered and the rear tires to tuck under the rear fenders. I know I'm going to have to narrow the rear end and possibly tub the inside of the fender area / truck bed to get this to work. At least that's the ideas that I have , again right off the top of my head. Anybody got any suggestions while making it look legit? Thanks for any help you all can be and I'll be starting a WIP in here hopefully by the end of the month. It'll be a slow one because I'm taking on another aircraft build (Bf109) that I've had in the works now for the last 4 months but aint about to leave the automotive stuff. It's just too much fun.

Edited by mustang1989

At one time , wider fenders were being manufactured for the 53-79 Ford Stepsides . Sure , you can slice an dice the frame rails to keep stock width fenders too. The reason I know about the fenders is one , I used to sell antique Ford parts in Dallas , I own a 53 Ford panel myself along with a 78 Step side . I prefer keeping the 78 all original and the 53 stock .

As suggested you could widen the rear fenders as needed, I did this on a '37 Ford PU build. The only real problem was where the fenders and the running boards meet up. If you are going super low on the rear suspension you could either notch the bed floor to clear or raise the bed floor as a unit. One idea if you should "tub" the rear tires into the bed, I've used old plastic pill bottles. They are very close to the diameter to cover larger rear tires, and are very easy to cut apart. One old pill container will give you several "tubs" and depending on the bottom surface you might even be able to use that as the inner wheel well.

Ellen: I appreciate the information on the fenders. emotion-21.gifI'm probably going to keep the same fenders though.

Rob: My plan is to keep the slicks but will figure that out as time progresses. What usually happens when I get started is the build ends up dictating to me what the next step is. lol . BTW I like your signature block. :D

David: I like the idea on the pill bottles.emotion-21.gif I never woulda thought of that!! My wife is a nurse so these are a freekin' dime a dozen around here so I may try this route if all works out. Anything besides all that junk just hanging out there from the fender area!

The plans so far are to go with a 429 Boss under the hood. We'll see......

Thanks Jose! After my last build I'm going to have a completely open mind about the details of this build. I know where I want to go with it but what happens between here and there is anybody's guess!! The Challenger build seemed to have a mind of its own!!!

Edited by mustang1989

Just got the kit in last night along with the Tamiya TS-14 I'll need for priming a few things that I'll be using Alclad on (which is still coming in the mail). The only thing wrong with the kit is that it was missing its original wheels. The owner stuffed a set of wire wheels in the boxing from a later release of the kit. I'm not too worried about it due to the fact that I've got a set of Draglites to put on it. I also have a spare parts kit on the way as we speak as I've got a few mods I want to do to this one.

DSCN1403_zpswowjbjk2.jpg

DSCN1405_zpsdnb4noc1.jpg

DSCN1406_zpsfdsdelbl.jpg

Looks like I'll be tubbing this one. sSig_Muahaha_zps56835599.gif

RSCN1411_zpsyuxrzoss.jpg

Edited by mustang1989

Looks like I'll be tubbing this one. sSig_Muahaha_zps56835599.gif

RSCN1411_zpsyuxrzoss.jpg

for me Joe, that's the only way to go. I will be watching this. I think that is an excellent kit. you should only have to cut away part of the bed floor on this because the frame rails are far enough in. you will do a bang up job on it.

Troy & Al: Man I hope I don't disappoint! lol . This'll be a drawn out WIP as I'm building another kit as well which means I'll be making good progress one week and then the next week there won't be any but I'll get this done , rest assured. I've already got the plans going in my head. I know what I want, it's how I'm gonna get there that I'm still rolling around. And then you have what's actually gonna happen during the build itself! emotion-8.gif

John: Thanks for the comments. :D I'm most likely going to have to take some out of the bed for this one. There's just a lot of tire back there.

Edited by mustang1989

Thanks Tim and Mark: I had run up against an issue already in the build and I haven't even started yet. The rear tires are a two piece design so I either needed to use another set of one piece design tires or work with these. I chose to work with these and use Permatex gasket sealer (thanks to a tip from a friend here) to assemble the tire halves and help with getting rid of that nasty seam that runs right down the middle of the tires.

DSCN1412_zpsfxb3xdnv.jpg

Troy: No worries man. I'll be going slow with this one as I've got some planning of how I want to do all of this. I do have a 429 Boss from the Revell 70 Boss 429 Mustang boxing that's in the works. The exhaust , even with the modified part of the kit seems a little cheesy to me. Before I can worry about that , however, I have to make sure that this mule will fit ok in there.

Riley: Thanks for the vote of confidence! I'll be building this one along side a 1/48th scale Bf109 that I plan on opening up. While I'm building the 429, I'll also be building a Daimler Benz DB605 inverted V-12. No shortage of engine work that 's for sureI lol

Carl: Thanks for the encouragement pal! :D

I bought a total of 4 kits for this build. I'll explain here:

Kit #1: This is my main kit where all productive assembly will take place:

DSCN1403_zpswowjbjk2.jpg

Kit #2 : I will use the trailing arm rear suspension out of this kit along with a few other goodies that kit #1 doesn't have:

revell08811400.jpg

Kit #3 is a copy cat of kit #1 but has been half built (it was a terrible effort on somebody's part but the kit is PERFECT) that I got off of ebay. This kit will be the sacrificial donor for all initial cutting / hacking and placement of the powertrain and drivetrain components as well as where and how much to cut out of the bed for the wheel tubs. I couldn't care less about the appearance of this thing but it serves its purpose in this build. I'll post pics of this thing in a minute...

Kit#4 I have just in case something breaks or if I need another part (which happens a lot with my modified builds):

Roth_Pickup.jpg

With all this in mind I've got the 429 test fitted into the donor kit ....aww man! I forgot kit #5 for the engine donor

111912-11132.jpg?nr=85-2149&company=reve

Here's the sacrificial donor kit:( I only hope the original builder was 6 years old!!!!LOL)sSig_DOH.gif_zpsiyz57xcc.png

DSCN1450_zpswhrauany.jpg

and the 429 bare block and transmission test fit. I'll have to move the transmission crossmember back a little and fabricate some motor mount bosses. Looks like the engine has to go back a tad.

DSCN1451_zpsivm0dh3g.jpg

Edited by mustang1989

I haven't posted anything on here in a while but have now got the engine mount situation figured out and am ironing out the rear suspension set up. I looked twice at the trailing arm suspension set up for the rear and that's not going to work out. I'm going to reposition the rear leaf spring perches higher up on the frame rail to lower the rear down. I'll be posting pics tomorrow after cleaning up some of the grinding and sanding that I've been doing to the rear portion of the frame. It'll work out...........it's just going to take some time here.icon_bored_zpscodtnzo5.gif