Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 56 Ford F-100-Now Under Glass-01/02

Dan: Sometimes the slow progress is discouraging so I appreciate your comments buddy. :D

Joe: Thanks for the kudos!

Carl: Indeed I did! Still have some figuring out to do back there but it's coming along trouble free so far.

I test fitted the carberators and air horns on top of the engine this morning in addition to prepping and priming the front suspension parts. I've got the exhaust mostly figured out so that's all but in the bag. I'm about ready to start the engine build up I think.

FSCN1481_zpsjqrhqq8n.jpg

FSCN1484_zps0xdnacro.jpg

RSCN1487_zpsefl9niju.jpg

Thanks James! I'm going to press ahead with the scoop alright. :D

Pat: Thank you sir! I know I'm supposed to be building a 109 so I'll be pressing ahead with the DB605 engine at the same time I'm building the 429 for this build. As far as the Boss goes, I wanted something kind of on the outlandish side for this truck. ;)

After a long weekend I've got most of the frame and suspension set up the way I want it. I'm not as far along as what I wanted to be but I'm one heck of a lot further than what I was. I kept the front suspension OOB for two reasons: 1) I wanted to keep it that way for nostalgia's sake and 2) in keeping it OOB it made things a lot easier so I'll be able to concentrate most of my efforts on under the hood the same way I did my recent Challenger build( Oh man! This is gonna take forever!!)

FSCN1496_zpsoas4isom.jpg

Edited by mustang1989

I started on the engine assy this morning. I primed the long block in black in my typical fashion. I like walking my shades of paint dark to light rather than the other way around and this offers some level of pre-shading for the dark crevices and all.

I've already smoothed out most of the seams on the pan and transmission. The ones behind the water pump will be hidden.

FSCN1502_zpsezre19we.jpg

FSCN1501_zpsza04rzgg.jpg

Thanks Fred and Tim! I have yet to hear one of these things run. I've seen a few but never heard 'em. Tim..............you've got it pal...........LOTS of planning! lol

I applied the gloss coat tonight and will start with the light wash in the morning.

Ok I applied the wash and let it dry for 3 hours.........................did I mention I've been up since 1:00 AM???? Couldn't sleep so I hit the benchsFun_mornincoffee_zps97291756.gif......oh well, I'll pay for it later! After drying I hit the engine with a coat of Vallejo Matte Finish. It worked like a charm. Then I Easy Off'd the chrome rocker covers as these will ultimately get an Alclad coating. A few cups of coffee later sFun_coffeeaddict_zps647000ec.gifI managed to base coat the starter and the exhausts. I installed the steering linkage on the front end (this may give me a little trouble later but I think I can tweak things a little and get by with the oversight), sand the other rear tire and spray another coat of gloss black on the front wheels in preparation for the Alclad that will be applied next week.

In the pic below if you look closely you can see subtly darkened areas on the timing cover. Just enough to get the effect going. The intake manifold side of the L/H head shows the residue left behind by the wash. I also did some carving on the rocker covers to get them to fit flush.

RSCN1517_zpsb8znu1tz.jpg

Edited by mustang1989