Model Cars Magazine Forum

Kit Cars, Clones and Replicas in scale

• 9 months later...

Bid on one a few months ago. Did not get it. Since learning about this car and model on this thread, it's become one of my "holy grail" kits. I need one. I have purchased literature on the real thing. I love this car. I wonder where the dies are for this? And can it ever be reissued?

I know Testors ended up with quite a few of the IMC molds and quite a few went overseas. So this may be still around, but, in what country? 

How about a kit car I designed myself?  Since there are a lot of interesting bodies to go on VW chassis, I thought a '32 Vicky would be interesting.  

IMG 2408

I thought it was creative at the time, 20 something years ago, but people weren't that open to ideas back then. When I displayed it I got a lot of negative comments, some like I was disgracing a Ford etc.  As such it was usually excluded from awards.  At one contest a snarky judge told me that he disqualified it because I forgot to include a battery.  I replied that it was a VW so the battery was under the rear seat!   Another judge told me it would never place in a contest because "nobody would ever build a car like that" in the same contest that a '39 Chevy with a Ferrari engine won big awards.

That's the Revell Anglia rear hump enclosing the engine. Originally I had it just hanging out there, but decided I wanted to be able to close it all up to look like a regular street rod. Tail lights are VW as you'd see on a dune buggy. VW exhausts kinda give the secret away.

32vicky underhood1

The entire VW drivetrain and suspension is under it.  I modified the '32's chassis to be a flat plate bottom VW chassis. I don't have a photo of it handy. Those are the Skips VW convertible kit's Porsche wheels, including on the spare tire. The gas tank is in the radiator area, with the cap being the filler. Seats are Deora and they actually tilt forward. Dash and steering wheel are VW. The door panels are also VW

IMG 2409

And a wired VW engine!  

IMG 2412

The German plate also gives a clue to the nature of this model.

This was the first model I built for contests back then.  It's still one of my favorites.  I love to take it out and see the reactions.

Edited by Tom Geiger

In 2007 I came a cross this one at a open day on the farm of a tractor enthusiast.

DSC01380_1.jpg

DSC01378_1.jpg

DSC01381_1.jpg

Unmodified at the rear but with a Mercedes grille and modified hood. Not sure if it was homemade or made by some company back in the day.

Wow,looks like they used a real Benz grill.

How about a kit car I designed myself?  Since there are a lot of interesting bodies to go on VW chassis, I thought a '32 Vicky would be interesting.  

IMG 2408

I thought it was creative at the time, 20 something years ago, but people weren't that open to ideas back then. When I displayed it I got a lot of negative comments, some like I was disgracing a Ford etc.  As such it was usually excluded from awards.  At one contest a snarky judge told me that he disqualified it because I forgot to include a battery.  I replied that it was a VW so the battery was under the rear seat!   Another judge told me it would never place in a contest because "nobody would ever build a car like that" in the same contest that a '39 Chevy with a Ferrari engine won big awards.

That's the Revell Anglia rear hump enclosing the engine. Originally I had it just hanging out there, but decided I wanted to be able to close it all up to look like a regular street rod. Tail lights are VW as you'd see on a dune buggy. VW exhausts kinda give the secret away.

32vicky underhood1

The entire VW drivetrain and suspension is under it.  I modified the '32's chassis to be a flat plate bottom VW chassis. I don't have a photo of it handy. Those are the Skips VW convertible kit's Porsche wheels, including on the spare tire. The gas tank is in the radiator area, with the cap being the filler. Seats are Deora and they actually tilt forward. Dash and steering wheel are VW. The door panels are also VW

IMG 2409

And a wired VW engine!  

IMG 2412

The German plate also gives a clue to the nature of this model.

This was the first model I built for contests back then.  It's still one of my favorites.  I love to take it out and see the reactions.

I like it. Sad that others in the past put down what you did here. I think it's pretty cool. And I like your explanation that the battery was under the back seat. They the excuse of no battery? Unbelievable! 

I think your last pic here is a Cheetah, not an Avenger/Astra/Astro. Real or clone or replica, I have no idea.

Speaking of kit cars, I came into possession of an AMT original annual '68 Corvette body (and very little else). As it's not an especially accurate replica of a "shark-gen" Vette, I'm planning to turn it into a Corvair or maybe VW-powered "kit car," just for grins.

Yep. :lol:

Speaking of kit cars, I came into possession of an AMT original annual '68 Corvette body (and very little else). As it's not an especially accurate replica of a "shark-gen" Vette, I'm planning to turn it into a Corvair or maybe VW-powered "kit car," just for grins.

Yes, great plan!! I love it :D

MPC did a 1/20 kit of Dick Dean's Shalako, which was designed to go on a Bug pan. Hot Rod (I believe) did a full story on the development of the prototype, built for off-road racing (if I recall correctly). Some of the interior panels and bulkheads were made of alclad (corrosion-resistant aluminum sheet...not the paint product we know and love).

1969 VOLKSWAGEN SHALAKO

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

MPC did a 1/20 kit of Dick Dean's Shalako, which was designed to go on a Bug pan. Hot Rod (I believe) did a full story on the development of the prototype, built for off-road racing (if I recall correctly). Some of the interior panels and bulkheads were made of alclad (corrosion-resistant aluminum sheet...not the paint product we know and love).

1969 VOLKSWAGEN SHALAKO

It was Rod & Custom, February 1969. I just happen to have it on my desk even as we speak. Cover car.