Model Cars Magazine Forum

1965 Pontiac Bonneville.

yura1961

This is good news. There is some debate on what came in this box. Was it really the Bonneville? Or the 2+2? There was some question if the dies/tooling for the Bonneville were lost to the 2+2 when Ertl made the 2+2.

The closer I look at your model, the more I wonder about it. On the original AMT Bonnevilles there was a badge of some sort on the front fender, above the the wide rocker panel, just behind the front wheel. It's shown on the box art above, but missing from your model. Also the rocker panels don't look quite right in your photos compared to the original kits. Your rocker panels look smooth. The original kit's rocker panel have horizontal ridges, fluting. Also, I believe the original kit had the word Bonnevile in the driver side upper segment of the grille. Which looks like it's missing on your build.

This makes me wonder. Did Ertl ruin the tooling for the Bonneville in making the 2+2? Then realized their mistake, and tryed to convert the the tooling back to a Bonneville? The mystery deepens.

ErtL used to use older built -ups for their box photo; meaning it became like a box of chocolates

• 2 months later...